Chapter 15: Alpha Kaius

KAIUS'S POV

The car is smooth as the driver speeds to my destination. Ryder wanted to come but I insisted on going alone this time. I would rather he stay with Hiraeth. I haven't left this long since meeting her and it's killing me inside.

Every time that little fox walks into my room, I have to swallow down every instinct in me. She isn't someone who can be controlled and I wouldn't have it any other way. Even though her stubbornness drives me mad, it's the fire in her that turns that madness into obsession.

My eyes wander down to my hands as I rub my thumb and pointer finger together. I wonder how soft her red curls are.

When she moves, they bounce and shift down her back. It's all I can think about. This woman...

I rub my face and lean forward to grab a glass and pour myself some scotch. I usually prefer to drive but my limo is necessary for this kind of meeting.

I take a hard sip of the drink and feel it burn. The burn makes me think of Hiraeth. Some people have a soft exterior and a tough personality inside that head of their. She is different. Her hair is as fiery as her attitude and I love it.

She is smart and quick, everything a queen should be. She is as fierce as the last queen but in a different way.

The car pulls to a stop in front of a sore eye of a building with no windows. It blends in with the other buildings and seems very unimportant.

I tell the driver to pull down the street as I throw on my vest and open the door myself. A limo in front of a building like this is very odd. Down the street are nicer looking buildings more fitting for a limo. The reason that I took the limo is because I know that they have eyes everywhere here. They observe my every move even though I have authority over them.

The building is all brick and nothing else. The drab doors are weak under my touch but a few feet after them, another set of steel doors begins to open for me. I don't even have to announce my presence since I own this place like most others.

The building has no floors other than a balcony high up looking down on the center of the room. Every five feet on the perimeter of the room and the balcony are wolves and a few men.

They are all children of Alphas. If an Alpha has more than one child, they have to spend a few years working for me. Only an idiot would try to assassinate a king who can hardly die while he is surrounded by wolves with Alpha blood in them.

Their eyes glint with the small amount of light present. The walls behind them have red symbols painted on them to prevent anyone from mind-linking in this building.

Anyone accept me of course. It comes with the job.

Immediately I shift in my skin and bring the dominance in me to the surface. It is like silver woven into every cell of my body from generations of Kings and Queens behind me. The floor takes in my steps and echoes it through the room.

The voices at the table in the center of the room grow quiet. All heads turn to me. Every person is between 30 and 60 years of age. Their faces are usually harsh and judging but for me, they show respect. They are my advisors and some of them were advisors of my father.

No one says a word as I pull out a chair at the head of the table. No one needs to say who I am for everyone already does. Most importantly, no one needs to mention how late I am. That would be going way over the line I drew when I took over as king.