Chapter Eighteen

I stare at the doctor, blinking violently with a wide grin."Pardon me? What did you just say?".

He chuckles at my reaction and slides the paper towards me."It's a little early to tell,but I've seen things like this before and my tests are never wrong-".

Maddy slams her fists on the desk and stands up, staring him down."WHAT THE HECK DO YOU MEAN? YOU ALREADY LOST THE TESTS ONCE AND YOU'RE EXPECTING US TO BELIEVE YOU? I DEMAND ANOTHER TEST".

The doctor stands up and glares at her."I would suggest you sit down before I call security,my research has never failed me"He says enraged.

"I don't give a damn,redo the tests again,she can't be pregnant if she's on birth control".

"They're 99% effective if you take them right, meaning at the same time everyday,if you don't,your odds of becoming pregnant go up to 9%"Maddy scoffs and looks at me.

"Sis tell him you've been taking them correctly".

I swallow hard, feeling suddenly lightheaded and limp,I look up and shake my head in fear,the color of her face drains and her mouth drops open.

"Adelaine...You didn't take the pills?".

She sits down and puts her hand on my lap, squeezing my knee lightly.

Last time I took them...I don't even remember when that was,I thought I took them but I guess I didn't.

What the hell am I going to do?

"You're telling me she's pregnant? Her?"She points at me with a shaky finger and the doctor nods.

"She's pregnant but we have to wait at least another week to be able to confirm,if she turns out to be pregnant then she needs to be very careful,her pregnancy would be high risk because of Fibromyalgia".

I watch his mouth move but I can't hear a single thing he's saying.

Impossible,I can't be pregnant, it's impossible.

"Miss Matthews? Are you okay?"The doctors asks in concern and I shake my head standing up.

"I'm everything but okay, I'm...Perplex"His eyebrows form into a frown.

"You're what?".

"Perplexed,p-e-r-p-l-e-x-e-d,filled with uncertainty, puzzled".

"See what you did now? She's becoming a dictionary"Maddy stands up and wraps her arm around mine, holding me against her side.

"We're leaving,call when you're ready to redo the tests"She grabs my bag and pushes me out the door while the doctor stares at us in awe.

She slams the door shut and looks at me worried."Adelaine, I'm so sorry".

I sit on the chair and stare at the floor in complete disbelief, pinching the skin on my wrist lightly.

"How am I supposed to tell him he's going to be a dad again?".

"Don't say that,this doctor is an idiot he doesn't know anything, you'll see".

I lean my head on the wall as tears sting my eyes."I was supposed to move in with my mom and sister in four days,I barely have money for food and now I'm pregnant? What am I going to do? I can't raise a child, I'm 19 and still in medical school".

She sits next to me and pulls me in a half hug."You're not pregnant, it's a huge misunderstanding, you're going to see when you redo them again it'll be negative".

She comforts me but her words are meaningless in my mind ,all I'm thinking about is carrying my boss's child and how much damage that will cause if it turns out to be true.