Chapter Fifteen | Beckett and his Duty

Beckett was entirely uncertain about Lord Lawton, which bothered him

Beckett was entirely uncertain about Lord Lawton, which bothered him. He usually possessed a sense when it came to matters such as criminals and traitors. But Lawton remained somewhat of a mystery.

Sure, Beckett did not like the man. But that could be attributed to a whole slew of things beyond his potential treason. Namely, he was boorish to those he felt beneath him, such as Beckett, and rather charming towards his betters. In other words, he seemed to be a man playing an act. Which was undoubtedly the most suspicious thing about him.

His personality was as changing as the wind. Beckett did not like that. Not one bit.

But there were many things that Beckett did not like about his current arrangements. Case in point: Lady Hutton.

He rather thought that having Griffin here to watch after his sister so that Beckett would be available to focus on other, more critical parts of his assignment, such as Lord Lawton, would lead to productive, worry-free days.

It would seem he was wrong.

Without having Penelope within his eyesight, he was, in fact, more worried.

Considering what she had said to Beckett on her way out the door yesterday, it was only a matter of time before that woman tried something wholly foolish. Beckett did not reckon that Penelope actually cared about smugglers or treason; she simply cared to prove herself. And that was rather dangerous in and of itself.

He ought to take her out on the seas, show her what it truly meant to prove oneself, to serve the queen.

That thought gripped Beckett for a moment. A vision of Penelope standing at the helm of a ship, her hair loose and blowing in the wind. Free. He reckoned she would actually be at peace there. That is, until she realized what hard work it was. Naturally there were no lavish five-course meals aboard The Odyssey.

Beckett stood at the window in his chambers, scanning the darkened fields that skirted along the stables, willing Griffin and Lady Hutton to come into view. On the one hand, he realized he was acting quite ridiculous, spying upon them in this fashion. But on the other hand, it was his job to ensure Lady Hutton's safety. And while Griffin was a more than capable protector, Penelope did enjoy pushing the boundaries on activities that were deemed safe.

He had not been concerned earlier. But now it was growing late, and the skies were threatening a downpour. Griffin and Penelope had intended to go for a ride, but surely they should be back by now. The conditions grew more and more unsuitable for riding as the minutes passed.

Sighing, Beckett pulled himself away from the window. Staring would get him nowhere.

Not a few seconds after Beckett crossed the room to the fireplace did a flash brighten the room, making him spin back toward the window. It was followed closely by a booming announcement. A storm was close by, and the thunder was its warning.