Chapter Nineteen | Penelope and the Ball

Penelope admittedly threw quite a fit at the suggestion to push the ball back a week

Penelope admittedly threw quite a fit at the suggestion to push the ball back a week. It simply was unnecessary to do so, and she did not like to impose changes to her already curated schedule. It would confuse the guests, after all. And it would shorten the length of time between events. She still had the final grand ball to prepare for.

But then Penelope learned that if she were to postpone the ball, her brother would also defer his departure. And it was challenging to dismiss that opportunity.

And if she must confess, she'd felt a tad sore.

But merely a tad.

It had been good to spend several more days in bed, even if it did involve dealing with the lingering of two brooding men in her chambers.

Colonel Ash and Griffin were acting very overdramatic with the situation of the horse. Penelope was confident that some continuation of pain was normal for an event such as this, and in fact, she should likely feel grateful that it was not much more.

But in the end, Penelope got what she wished for: a dazzling evening and the perfect event to honor Griffin. Not that she made that knowledge public or fussed about it to her guests. In fact, in her opinion, Penelope made very little fuss about this particular gathering altogether. Her decor was relatively minimal, and the music was fresh and summery. The beauty was in the simplicity of a candlelit dance floor on the eve of midsummer.

Griffin attended, though he did look a bit surly as he took a lap around the dance floor with her.

"It is all very lovely, Pen."

"I am glad you like it."

Penelope thought she might have seen a hint of a smile in Griffin's expression. And then he said the most wonderful thing.

"Knowing you're my sister has always made me feel like I belong in this world more than anything else ever has, Penelope."

"Griff—" Penelope bit down on her lip, knowing that if she tried to say anything further, she just might cry.

"Don't," he said with a chuckle. "Don't cry. I'm not worth tears."

"You're worth a lot," she managed to whisper. "That's all I wanted you to know. I am sorry that our father never made you feel that way."

Griffin swore beneath his breath before swiveling toward the large, towering windows that displayed a dusky sky beyond the glass. He stared through them for a moment, and Penelope looped her arm around his before squeezing his hand. Finally, he cleared his throat and spun back around.

"Go on, now," he said, sounding his gruff, usual self once more. "Enjoy the evening. I shall be fine if you wish to mingle with your guests."

So Penelope did.

She spent time conversing with Lady Winchester and Lady Farrington and even danced with Lawton, much to the colonel's displeasure. She could feel the heat of his gaze on the back of her neck the entire time she danced, reminding her of when they had shared a waltz. Of when he had warned that she should be more careful around him as if Penelope did not want precisely the same thing as he did.