Chapter Twenty-Three | Penelope and Bucklebee

Penelope had barely recovered from falling apart—again—from Beckett Ash's doings when Griffin burst through the doorway

She lifted her head off the bed, thankful that Beckett had righted her drawers and skirts before he'd stalked off. God, she did not even want to think about what might have happened had Griffin strode in even a minute or two earlier.

He'd probably be proposing some ridiculous, nonsensical duel at this very moment. Ridiculous because Penelope believed all duels to be ridiculous. And nonsensical because Penelope had no honor to defend. She was a married woman who had long since lost her innocence. But Griffin was rather protective about such matters. He did not believe in propriety in the same sense as her parents did, but he believed in honor and loyalty.

"Is something wrong?" he asked, stopping in his tracks as he looked at how she reclined on the bed.

She did not know how to tell him that everything was incredibly right, and she could not be more blissfully content at the moment.

"No, nothing is wrong."

Penelope knew that her words were likely difficult to believe considering her circumstances. Rarely did she stay abed midday.

"Did something happen when you went to the stables?"

She raised a brow; she did not realize that Griffin was even aware she went to the stables. She conveniently left that part out of their conversation when she saw him this morning at breakfast.

Catching wind of her expression, Griffin admitted, "I saw you walking across the grounds with Beck." He paused. "You could have asked me, you know. I would have liked to escort you after what happened the last time, and I know that you and Beckett do not entirely get along."

Penelope had to bite down on her lip to keep from smiling. Griffin did not need to know how thoroughly she had enjoyed the horse ride with his friend. It was uncomfortable in some ways, considering the logistics of two passengers on one horse, and it was entirely unnecessary for them to ride together. But it was hard not to admit that she did find a fair bit of enjoyment in teasing the Colonel until he was damn near ready to explode.

"He is not so bad," Penelope said, pushing herself into a sitting position.

Actually, he was quite good. Very, very good.

Overbearing and a bit brutish, but skilled. Very skilled and very handsome.

She was still reeling, still aching.

Griffin seemed perhaps a little put off by her response, so Penelope quickly added, "But of course, next time I will let you know. We merely ran into each other in the foyer."

With a nod, Griffin took stock of her chambers and eventually settled in an armchair in the corner.

"Where is he now?"