chapter ten

My suitcase was filled to the brim with clothes and shoes I probably didn't need for a 2 day trip, but I always pack more than expected because you never know what could happen.

I was actually super excited to see my mom. I wish it didn't have to come to her asking me to come see her for me to think about it. I pulled out my phone to send my mom a text. I had to text her now because the service was so horrible on the way to her house.

Hi mom, i'm about to head there:) see you in an hour or two.

I grabbed my suitcase and headed to the living room where Ariya was sat at the table eating breakfast.

"I'm about to hit the road." I informed her.

"Ugh don't go." She groaned.

"You know I have too. My mom hasn't seen me in ages."

Ariya groaned and turned her face into a pout "I'm going to be so lonely."

"I'll be back in two days, you can live without me for two days."

"Yeah yeah." She replied in a sarcastic tone. "Tell Charlotte I said hi and that I miss her."

"I will, and do me a favor and don't burn down the house please."

She threw a kitchen towel at me in response.

Bitch.

-

The long drive plus my lack of sleep last night had me exhausted, but I finally pulled into the driveway of my childhood home. This place held so many memories and the sudden hit of nostalgia was almost too much to take in.

I parked in the spot that seemed to still be reserved for me. I made my way around to the back of the car to grab my suitcase when I was interrupted by an excited screech.

"NICOLE!" My mom yelled out.

I dropped my suitcase back onto the seat of my car, too eager to give my mom a hug "Mom! Hi, I missed you so much." I exclaim while pulling her into a tight embrace.

She smelled of rose, like she always has. It brought me a sense of comfort. The same comfort it brought me when I was a child.

We finally pulled away and made our way inside. I was beyond excited to see my baby, shadow, he is a black dachshund, weenie dog mix. I didn't realize how much I missed him until now.

"Hi shadow! I missed you so much!" My puppy dog voice loudened. He started running around the house like crazy. He always does when someone comes home.

"Well how have you been mom?" I plopped myself down on the couch gazing at my beautiful mother. She looked very good at her age. She was short like me. She had long brown hair that reached her lower back and the most beautiful honey eyes.

"Well, you know, same ol' same ol'" She replied, forcing a smile as she poured us both a cup of tea.

"I've really missed you mom." I try to reassure her.

My mom hasn't been as lively since me and my brother have left. We were all she had due to my piece of a shit father leaving a few years after she had me. I don't even know where my father is, let alone what he even looks like now. Not that I care to know.

Of course not having a father figure growing up leaves a scar and a void that no one can fix or fill, but I have learned how to live without him. I have learned to become the best version of myself without his help. All I needed was the guidance of my wonderful mother. She was enough.

"I've missed you too sweetie." She sits on the couch next to me and hands me a mug of tea.

"Has Noah come to visit lately?" I ask.

The expression on her face already tells me my answer and I can't help but want to sink into this couch and never come back up. I hate seeing my mom upset.

"He calls often, but he hasn't come down to visit in a while." She frowns, "But he is majoring in business. I know he is a busy bee. I just cherish the moments when I get to hear his voice." Her face suddenly lighting up at the thought.

"Well I guess I will have to get us together for a family night." I sigh with a grin.

My moms lips turn into the biggest smile. "I guess so!"

We spent the rest of the night chatting and rewatching our favorite rom coms.

A/N i know this was short and kinda boring but it's a filler chapter because shits about to go DOWN.