chapter fifteen

I woke up with the worst headache, but I wasn't surprised. I still had class today and the thought of seeing Milo made me physically ill.

I can't get the face he wore in that moment out of my head, he looked distressed and on the verge of tears, but why?

He had no reason to be sad when I had every reason to be. I didn't want to think of him today. I tried my hardest to push the thought of him to the back of my mind.

I rolled off the couch of my brothers apartment and went to the bathroom for my morning routine.

"Good morning idiot." I heard a voice pass by the bathroom door.

"Shut the fuck up Noah and get me some clothes to wear."

I heard him scoff from the kitchen and then two seconds later heard shuffling from his room.

That's what I thought.

"This will work or you'll do without. I'm making eggs dumbass, and yes they're sunny side up."

He threw me a pair of black sweatpants and a black hoodie that would definitely be huge on me but nonetheless it would work. I loved baggy clothes anyways.

My brother was tall. Like super tall, and I'm not sure where it came from.

"Smells good, that's surprising." I sat down at the table after grabbing a cold water from the fridge.

"You're just jealous because I'm a better cook than you." He mumbled, his mouth stuffed with toast.

Rolling my eyes and trying to finish my food I felt his eyes burning a hole into me. "You need something?"

"So like this guy? What's his name?"

I grinned. "No Noah."

"Nicoleee." He whined. "It's just a question."

"Noah you literally gave chase a black eye and a bloody nose."

"And you're going to sit here and tell me that wasn't the right thing to do?"

We both laughed at the thought.

"I need to talk to him first, just not right now."

He nodded his head in understanding as we finished our plates.

-

I felt a pit settle in my stomach as I walked into the classroom, almost everyone was seated when I arrived. I made my way to my chair but before I could sit down I felt a cold grasp on my lower arm.

"Nicole, you haven't answered my text."

"Sorry phones been dead." I lied very clearly as I sat down and scrolled through instagram.

"Nico-" He started.

"Listen Milo. I don't care what you have to say, please just leave me alone."

He held his head down and when he got a
vision of what I was wearing his brows furrowed.

"Are you already seeing someone new?" He asked, his tone laced with sadness.

Oh my gosh is he shitting me right now?

"No Milo, and it's not your problem if I was."

"Listen could you please just give me the chance to expla-"

He was cut off by the sharp voice of our professor and the click of her heels as she walked in.

"We are moving into the next level of our curriculum. It will be rigorous and it will be hard, but people in this career path need to be able to handle it. This path doesn't need whinebags and people who can't take heat. As I've already explained get out of this class if you can't handle it."

She was fully at her desk now, pulling out papers from her drawer.

"We will be doing a little partner assignment to help you all with your social skills and team work."

She went to the front of her desk and sat the papers on a side table. "If y'all would like, take one of these papers after class to help you understand a bit more. It's of course completely optional though."

She spent the rest of class explaining what the rest of this week would consist of and of course, our partnered assignment.

-

When class was dismissed I gathered my things as quickly as I could and speed walked to the door.

"Nicole." I heard his deep voice from behind me.

"Holy fuck man, you have five minutes."

He tailed behind me like a lost puppy. "Okay could you like slow down a little?"

I whipped my head around to his face, our eyes connecting, but mine were filled with hatred as his were filled with heartache.

"Okay It's kind of a lot to explain but pretty much I texted you on Sunday and I wasn't getting a reply back-"

"Yeah my phone had no service on the road I was on."

"I realized that, but I hadn't talked to you all weekend and I for some reason had a need to see you. I wanted to see your smile."

My eyes softened for a second before I realized what I saw and I snapped myself back into my senses.

"I noticed your eyelashes in my trash can and felt bad for ruining them.."

My mind flashed with the memories of that night, it had an effect on him too because his hands were clenched by his side.

"So I decided I would go to Sephora to get you some new ones. I picked up flowers and a coffee on the way too."

I tilted my head, now confused as to why he did what he did if he was coming there for me.

"When I got there I expected you to answer the door but I got Ariya instead. She invited me in and told me that it shouldn't be long before you were home. She was a little wine drunk."

I looked down realizing I probably knew where this was going.

"She had offered me wine and when I went to her room to help her open the second bottle she just started going on and on about how she's never had a man treat her the way I treat you, and how she was a little jealous." He messed with his thumbs looking down almost frustrated.

"Next thing you know, she has my face in her hands and her lips on mine. And I swear Nicole I didn't initiate it and you walked in right when she grabbed me. I was going to push her off of me in that second. I never would want to hurt you amore you have to believe me."

We sat in silence for a few seconds while I tried to take in the information I just received.

"How drunk was she?"

"Uhm I don't know. I know that she had to get another bottle for me because the other one was empty?"

I started to walk off down the hallway.

"Nicole please. Just say something okay?"

I paused, not turning around. "I believe you."

A/N
oooo what do y'all think ?