Frayed

Max leans her head on Stiles' should as she listens to him quiz Scott, who sat right in front of them, on SAT words

Max leans her head on Stiles' should as she listens to him quiz Scott, who sat right in front of them, on SAT words. She hears her dad talking to students in the front of her bus but Stiles dragging his hand down her arm makes her close her eyes.

"Yo, Scotty." Stiles calls out causing Max to open her eyes, "You, Scotty, still with us?" Stiles calls once more as Scott groans in pain moving up in his seat. "Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" Scott asks him.

Max sighs as she moves to sit up and looks at the iPad, "Anachronism." She tells him. "Something that exists out of its normal time." Scott answers. "Nice." Max comments. "Okay, next word - 'incongruous'." Stiles says. "Um, can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asks. "Yes. Yes, I can. It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid cross country meet after what just happened - incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd." Scott says. "Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach." Max snaps her head up as she looks over to Stiles. "Darach, it's a noun."

Stiles looks around to see both of his friend and girlfriend staring at him. "Guys, we have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?"

"I vote the not part." Max tells him as she bites her lip. "Next word, 'intransigent'." Stiles says ignoring Max, "Or my girlfriend." Stiles says causing Max to pinch him. "Stubborn, obstinate." Scott says.

Scott groans as the bus goes over a bump making Max and Stiles look over the seat in worry, "Oh, buddy, you okay?" Stiles asks Scott, "We shouldn't have come. I knew it, we shouldn't have come." Stiles tells them. "We had to." Max says, groaning, rubbing her temples, "There's safety in numbers." Scott says.

"Yeah, well, there's also death in numbers, okay? It's called a massacre or bloodbath, carnage, slaughter, butchery, wow that's-" Scott groaning gets the attention of Stiles and Max.

"All right, Scott, I'm going to tell Coach-"

"No. No, no, no." Scott grabs Stiles' arm. "I'm all right." Max chuckles looking back at Scott, "You don't look all right buddy."

"Would you just let me see it?" Stiles asks Scott. "I'm okay." Scott says. "Just let me see it, okay?" Scott nods as Max and Stiles lean over the seat to see Scott's side scratched up and open. "Oh dude-" Stiles says. "I know it's bad, but it's because they're from an alpha. It'll take longer to heal." Scott tells them.

"Boyd and Isaac are fine though." Max says. "I can't believe he's dead. I can't believe Derek's dead." Scott says.

🌕

"Hey, I was thinking of getting pizza tonight or maybe we can get Chinese? I'm craving both." Amy says walking into Max's room. The mother stops as she spots her daughter slipping on her leather jacket. "Going out again?"