3~Troubled Waters

Dean couldn't wait to get out of here.

Sure, he was glad to help out, but from a personal standpoint, the week had a bust. He was no closer to figuring out what was going on with Janessa than when they left. No way did he buy her I need space story.

While he hated seeing her flirt with other guys on the trip, especially Wilder, Dean knew nothing would come of it. Janessa wasn't the type to cheat, and she was never the kind of girl who sought the attention of random guys. He'd been her first and he wanted to be her last.

He wiped the sweat from his brow with his arm. It was hot. If the girls weren't around he'd take off his shirt, but he wasn't doing that with an audience. Rose would probably faint, and Grace was already antsy from the glances she'd been getting from Wilder. Dean saw her lips part and his eyes widened his opinion shifting. Could the Jesus Girl have a thing for Wilder?

It was the Bad Boy vibe he had going on. Why did women like that? They all said they wanted an attentive boyfriend who returned calls and remembered their birthdays, but then they got all hot for the guy who had enough women to start his own professional softball team.

He glanced at his watch. "Hey, Archie, what time was that bus supposed to be here?"

Mr. Archer frowned. "An hour ago."

"Awesome."

Grace walked up with a couple of bottles of water and handed one to Archer, who managed a smile. "Thanks. You check on that problem?"

"Yes, sir. The situation is under control," she told him, handing Dean the other water bottle.

"What situation?" Dean asked, curious.

"Nothing to worry your pretty head over, Bradshaw," Archer smirked. "Let one of the girls know if you need help lifting those trash bags."

Dean caught Grace's smile as he hoisted a bag into the dumpster. "Yeah, yeah, everyone thinks they're a comedian."

"Except you." Colton grinned, shooting a water bottle in the dumpster. "Wilder's almost done putting away the machinery. We 'bout ready to head back to civilization?"

"Sure, the limo should be here any minute." Archer's voice dripped sarcasm. "I'm sure they'll have one of your fancy coffee drinks ready for you."

Dean and Mr. Archer laughed.

Colton's gaze narrowed. "What's wrong with my coffee?"

"If that sugar and whipped cream foo-foo drink has more than a tablespoon of coffee I'll eat my boot," Archer growled.

Mark walked up. "We're getting a limo and coffee?"

"You kidding me?" Archer shook his head, clearly doubting the intelligence of kids these days. "We can't even get a school bus."

Rose folded her arms over her middle. "You don't think something happened, do you?"

"Like what the driver was arrested or something? Or maybe he stopped at the local bar and forgot us."

"You been watching the news again, Janessa," Dean teased, tossing her a smile. "I warned you about that."

"Stranger things have happened," Archer said, coming to her defense. "You'll never get your girl back taunting her like all the time."

"Hey." Dean threw the teacher a look.

Colton shook his head. "Seriously, who even watches the news? It's propaganda. Can't believe a word of it."

Janessa grinned. "Right. That's what's wrong with you Dean. You believe everything you hear."

"Unless it comes to you and then I hear nothing. All I get is the silent treatment."