11~Jesus is the only way

They made camp just before dusk.

The soothing flow of the river and gentle the sway of trees created a peaceful sense of a safe haven. They set down their backpacks as fireflies lit up the grassy bank.

Janessa twisted her hair higher on her head and wet the back of her neck. The cold river water felt amazing. She was still light-headed but focusing on the fireflies' little bursts of yellow light helped.

"What's going on between you and Wilder?"

She'd known he was there even before he spoke. Janessa had a connection to Dean she didn't completely understand. A lot of guys wanted to go out with her because she was beautiful and popular, but once they realized she wasn't into partying and she didn't hook up with anyone they lost interest. Dean was the only one who cared to get to know her. If only she could confide in him, maybe he'd know what to do.

Taking a steadying breath, she searched her brain for a response but came up empty. One thing was certain she would not lie or pretend to misunderstand, which left her few options. "Leo's worried about me."

His back was against a tree and his attention was riveted on her. "Yeah. I got that. Why?"

"I haven't been feeling well, nothing serious, just dizzy."

"If I didn't know you, I'd think something was going on with you and your neighbor."

That caught her attention. She'd expected him to accuse her. His trust made her guilt much worse than she could have imagined and Dean wasn't done.

"But I do know you, Janessa." His deep voice melted over her like warm chocolate. "You'd never do something like that."

"You sound so sure."

"I am." He smiled and her belly flip-flopped. "And Wilder can't keep his eyes off Grace."

Janessa smiled too. "I've noticed."

"You'd tell me, right? If you were really sick."

The concern in his blue eyes tugged at her heart. "I'd tell you."

He seemed like he wanted to say more, but didn't. Finally, he nodded and started to go. Suddenly, he stopped and threw a beseeching look her way. "I love you, Janessa. I always will."

Turning before he saw her tears, she choked back a sob. When she was sure he was gone she whispered into the wilderness, "I love you, Dean. Forever."

Grace tried not to watch the couple, but it was difficult not to notice Dean's hope fade to crushing disappointment when he left Janessa. Leo was aware as well.

"It's not what you think."

She spun and found Leo's intent gaze on her. "What do you mean?"

"You think I have something going on with Janessa. It's not true." He spoke softly, his tone sincere.

"I'm not judging." She wet her lips. "The two of you seem to share a secret."

"Yes." He didn't deny it.

"You and Janessa are friends?"

"We're neighbors." His eyes never left hers. "Never really had an opportunity to talk much, but one day I caught her at a weak moment and she shared some stuff."

"I see." But she didn't, not really. "It's good to have someone to talk to."

"Is Mark that person for you?"

"Yes, sometimes." She folded her arms across her stomach. "I talk to God."

Several beats of silence followed.