33~Help us resist temptation

"Whoa, I go for a snack and you lose your mind," Colton announced, with an expression of horror. "You're not seriously thinking about getting married?"

"If we make it out of this alive, then yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking," Dean shot back. "Keep your opinion to yourself. I don't want Janessa upset."

"Chill." Colton lifted both hands, stepping in front of the cans. "I never said my opinion."

"Someone stop me before I mistake his head for a can." Despite the implication, Dean's tone held no bite.

Leo bit back a smile. Peter tried but couldn't stop it.

"This guy threatens me and you two think it's funny," he complained, placing the cans back up. "Ya'll are all salty."

"Sounds like everyone is getting along," Mark laughed, throwing three pecans in rapid secession and knocking all of them down.

"Yeah. Says the guy who missed most of the party while you were hanging out with the girls.

"No one invited us to the party?"

"It was dudes only." Colton grinned.

Rose didn't miss a beat. "No prob, the pizza we made is for ladies only."

"Hey," Mark protested. "The guy provoking you was in the cabin during most of the pizza making."

"And he didn't lift a finger," Janessa pointed out, her gaze drifting to Dean when she thought he wasn't watching.

"You wouldn't let me help. I tried." Colton tilted his head at Mark. "Right, man?"

"You ate half the pepperonis off the pizza."

"Just keeping the cheese to pepperoni ratio in check."

"Well, would you look at that?" Dean drawled, chuckling, as a squirrel lifted one of the cans in its claws and took a drink.

"Aww, it's thirsty," Grace said watching it try to drink.

"Hey, buddy, find your own target!"

Discovering the can empty, the cute little thief ran into the woods with their target. "It's messing with us." Leo chuckled, his attention fixed on Grace.

Her belly flip-flopped at the look in his eyes. The memory of their kiss flashed in her mind. It began as a gentle brush of lips but quickly turned into a heart-pounding experience she would forever remember. It ended as quickly as it began. He pulled away and apologized, which she did not understand at all. What had gone wrong?

"We're no match for a tree rat," Peter grumbled. "The odds of us living to write books about this have significantly dropped to pancake level."

"Dude, what are you saying?" Colton gaped. "Pancake level? What were our odds before? Muffin level?"

"It is taller than a pancake," Rose said helpfully.

"I can't even with this conversation." Mark gripped his temple.

Grace's eyes crashed into Leo's again, and heat crept up her neck. Hiding her embarrassment behind a smile she decided to check on their pizza, but from Janessa's sympathetic expression Grace knew she wasn't fooling anyone.

Taking a peek into the oven it looked done.

"We need to talk, angel."

Grace felt his deep voice rumble inside her chest. She slowly turned around to face him.

He was tall, his shoulders broad, and he had muscles that intrigued her far more than they should, but what grabbed her attention was his expression. Most of the time he kept a confident, almost cocky mask on for the world to see, but not now. A hint of vulnerability glinted in his eyes.