31-33

Chapter 31: Block Booking

Ning Li looked at her.

‘So generous, yet so familiar.’

In her past life, Ning Li was hospitalized for more than a month, so she had to miss Master Cheng’s birthday dinner.

After that, the family held another party for Ye Ci to celebrate her getting first place in the Huatsing Cup.

The celebratory party was supposed to be held right after the competition but since Ning Li was still in the hospital, Ye Ci asked Su Yuan and Ye Ming to delay the party. So other than celebrating her win, they could also celebrate Ning Li’s discharge from the hospital.

Ning Li was rather moved back then.

She had mistakenly thought that her new family welcomed her wholeheartedly.

However, what happened after that proved her wrong.

Back then, Ye Ci used the same excuse to lend Ning Li her dress.

Ye Ci had worn that particular dress before, but most importantly, the dress was custom-made for her.

It would not fit on another person.

While guests were mingling and cups went gaily round during the party, Cheng Xiangxiang looked at Ning Li with contempt and sneers.

“Don’t you know that the dress is custom-made? Lil Ci’s name is sewn on the belt! How can you wear it to a party?”

After that particular night, Ning Li became the joke of the entire Yunzhou.

“Did you hear? The step-child of the Ye Family didn’t even have a decent dress. She simply wore Ye Ci’s custom-made dress to the party!”

“I think she wants the dress to herself because it’s beautiful. Did she even look into the mirror though?”

“She’s just an uneducated girl from some rural area, what could she possibly know? The Ye Family has it the hardest for having to deal with the mess that is her.”

Even though Ye Ci highly recommended the dress to Ning Li, no one cared.

The way Ning Li was staring into Ye Ci’s eyes made the latter a little nervous.

“...S-Sister Ning Li? What’s wrong?”

Ning Li looked away and said calmly, “No thanks.”

Su Yuan frowned. She thought Ning Li did not understand the situation.

“Master Cheng’s birthday dinner is an official occasion, are you planning to attend in your jeans?”

“I don’t like wearing someone else’s dress,” Ning Li said.

Ye Ci’s face froze at Ning Li’s reply.

Ye Cheng almost bolted up from his chair. “My sister is trying to help you by lending you her dress! What’s with your attitude?!”

Su Yuan signaled a glance to Ye Ming, who then quickly diverted the glance to Ye Cheng.

“It’s none of your business. Sit down and have your dinner.”

Ye Cheng grunted and then grumbled, “She’s here to steal someone else’s mother, why would she care about a dress?”

The atmosphere at the dining table fell into silence.

After a while, Ye Ming said with a heavy tone, “She’s your mother’s daughter and also your elder sister. Be mindful of your words.”

Ye Cheng did not answer but the look on his face showed that he was not happy.