Chapter 28

Exiting the stage where they put on a heartfelt but over-dramatic show for Sophia's, well, mate, Liam was waiting in the hall. Eyes as black as her fated mate's soul were waiting for him. How in the hell did the Moon Goddess put those two together?

"There's an impromptu meeting to discuss the handover of the perp when you're ready. They're already assembled."

"In the second-floor conference room?"

"The Chamber."

Usually, that area was reserved for open conversations and relationships. It will be interesting to see business handled there where everyone keeps their clothes on.

"They would like to talk to Sophia." The guard warned.

Of fucking course they do. Their interest was piqued when she showed up at the get-together earlier tonight, and now they are using any excuse they can to see her.

"It should be quick, and I won't leave your side. Do you think you can hang in there for this?"

She gave a quick nod. Not only did she just break her fated mate bond, but she was starting to get deeper into her heat. They had maybe a few hours before she would be inconsolable, except for one thing.

Get this over and done with.

Spinning on his heel, he led the way down the hall towards the back staircase. She was trailing him on his right, as usual. It felt good to have her near him, but how he wished she was walking next to him instead of two steps behind.

They left the broad, contemporary art-lined walls of the main area and entered into a dimly lit stairwell. As they lowered themselves into the oldest part of the structure, the smell of moisture that had been gathering and evaporating for centuries filled the air. It was an aged smell that made one appreciate history. The temperature dropped when they hit bottom and entered an equally illuminated and humid hallway that ran in a different direction than the floors above.

"This is a private room, and I don't know what to expect. Go with it, and I'll help guide protocol."

A wooden door that could have been fashioned out of old wine barrels, but most likely oak whiskey casks down here, was pulled out of Dominic's way. He moved the trio to a room that the HVAC system had found. The building material at the time of construction was stone, and there seemed to be no need to renovate in the last two hundred years. Sweeping arches of granite blocks supported the floor above them and left the center clear for a long table. Light from a sparkly vintage chandelier that ran the length of the surface highlighted the workbench of sorts, but the outskirts of the space looked capable of holding secrets in its shadows.

All seated parties stayed in position as Dominic made his way to the armed chair at the head. On the far end, the king's advisor watched the set, or rather the female, cross over. The only recognition given to their arrival was the dimming of chatter.

The nearly three-hundred-pound male lowered himself into the red velvet cushioned high back. When his female approached his right side, he gently led her to stand before him and then pulled her down to his lap.

"Keep your eyes on me for now. You can make eye contact and look at my face, but keep your focus on me." He linked her so as not to share his direction with those nearby.

She was seated on his thigh and leaned into his chest. Picture perfect for the audience as he wrapped an arm around her, affirming her decision.

The sides were lined with ten alphas and their significant others, either lunas or aspiring lunas, except Monique. Standing to her left was her own mate. They looked everywhere except at him. Not because they didn't like him, but because they both knew he would never be the threat.