EPILOGUE

~Two Years Later~

When I was a teenager, my family got into a pretty bad car accident. We all survived, but I was left with a broken femur that required surgery. Luckily, it all went smoothly and, after a couple months of rehabilitation, I was basically back to normal. At the time, I thought that I was experiencing the worst pain I would ever feel. Boy, was I wrong. I never planned to be in this situation and, judging by the absolutely terrified look on Maverick's face, it wasn't something that crossed his mind either. The two of us never really discussed any sort of future, at least not one with kids in it. We have played around with the idea of marriage, but with our jobs assigning us to different areas of the world, there didn't seem to be much of a point.

After Top Gun, I got to remain in Southern California, getting assigned to a new squadron, the "Blue Coats", located out of NAS North Island. To make things even better, I was also able to take Specs along with me, who became my permanent RIO just after our graduation. Within a year, I was promoted to Lieutenant Commander.

In the beginning, this worked out perfect for our relationship. Because of Maverick's performance over the Indian Ocean, the Navy allowed him to pick any assignment, anywhere he wanted. At first, he choose to go back to teach at Top Gun, a decision that Viper both feared and embraced to the best of his ability. He only managed to stay a whopping two months, however, before coming to the conclusion that teaching was not for him. Honestly, I was shocked he lasted that long. It didn't help that the Navy wasn't a huge fan of his style of instruction. So, he went back to his old squadron, teaming up with Merlin, his RIO from our big mission right out of graduation, once more.

With me being in the states and Maverick in the middle of the Indian Ocean, we spent quite a few months separated from each other. It was power for the course in our line of work and a hurdle we expected to run into eventually. We talked when we could on the phone, but relied mostly on good old fashion letters. Maverick actually got really into writing them, always ending with some sort of over dramatic, yet romantic, gesture that seemed like it could've been pulled from an old romance novel.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him when we were apart, but it did make the reunions even that much better. After months away from each other, we would finally be able to release the pent up longing that we had for each other. Each time, I'm brought back to the night I first admitted my feelings for him. The passion and love in his eyes as looks at me, the way he holds me as if I will disappear again at any moment, and how he always kisses me like it's the last time he ever will makes it seem that, at least for the night, it's just the two of us.

It was one of those faithful nights that lead us to the position we're in now; me sprawled out on a hospital bed with a death grip on Maverick's hand while he looks like he seconds away from passing out. Despite the amount of pain I'm in, I can't help but find the sight amusing. In a F-14, he'll push himself to the limit with no regard for the rules, but the prospect of becoming a father seems to be bringing him to his knees.

Don't get me wrong, he's incredibly excited. Almost immediately after I told him I was pregnant, he was coming up with possible baby names and wanted to tell everyone he could about it. When we decided that Ice, Specs, and Carol would be the godparents, it took everything he had to actually wait until Ice came back stateside to ask him. Yet, behind all this, I can tell he's been a bit on edge. His own father died when he was relatively young and it's a scar that never truly healed. He tries to the best of his ability to be a father figure for Bradley, but it's not the same thing as actually being a father. With Rooster, if things ever get too hard for him, he just passes the kid off to Carol. This one, however, is fully dependent on him. That's what's really terrifying.

"We're never having sex again," I pant as I take a break from pushing. "No way am I doing this again."

"You say that now, but you certainly weren't saying that nine months ago." He gives me a playful smirk. At any other time, I'd try to come up with a sassy response or maybe lightly hit his shoulder, but I'm just too exhausted to do anything other that roll my eyes. Maverick rubs his thumb over my knuckles, giving my hand a quick kiss. "You're doing great, Claddagh. You're almost done, alright?"

"I one more big push should do it," the doctor confirms.

Mav kneels down next to me, pressing his lips to my temple. "Just squeeze my hand. I got you. You can do it."

All of my senses seem to turn off as I muster the final bit of energy I have left. I scream out once more, my body feeling as if it's on fire. All the voices in the room become muffled under my heart pounding in my ears. Then, just as quickly as it all began, it stops. With nothing left to give, I let my head collapse on the pillow. As my body returns to normal once more, the distinct sound of cries fill my ear.

"It's a boy!"

My heart swells with a feeling I never knew was possible. I'm exhausted and my body has just been put under the worst stress that a human can go through, but I've never felt a more unbridled love towards anything in my entire life. I glance up at Maverick. Any evidence of fear or nerves has been replaced with pure admiration, his eyes watering as he desperately tries to hold back tears.

After the cord is cut and the baby is cleaned up a bit, the doctors place my son on my chest. I've never seen anything more beautiful. Maverick looks on, his fingers still gently stroking my own. "He's perfect," he whispers.

"Have you two decided on a name?" one of the nurses asks.

I smile, gently stroking his peach fuzz hair. "Nick." I lean my head against Maverick's shoulder as he pulls me closer to him. "Nicholas Duke Mitchell."