Chapter 19

I looked back and saw Riley walking away from Derek with a smirk. Derek looked back at her, his nostril flared on the right, and his eye slightly skated from confusion. Wesley looked at me. I watched Riley go inside the house. Chloe went in after. Derek looked at the gun and me. He hands the weapon to Wesley and walks into the house, slamming his bedroom door.

"Tough crowd," Noah said jokingly. I grin because he's trying to help. But he's not helping.

"I'm going to check on Riley," Matthew excused himself. And Noah followed.

Wesley kept staring at me, not knowing what to say. Being the way she was, Riley wasn't new, but this was a new attitude I hadn't seen since she was a teenager in high school. Wesley walked upon the porch. He sets down on the swing, taking a breath. He was on watch duty. The sun was setting, and we were getting hungry, or at least I was.

"Hey, Wesley," I said. He raises his brows. Alert.

"We are going to need clothes; we can't keep wearing the same outfits daily," I said. He laughs. I don't know why. I was being serious.

"His mom still has some clothes in the closet upstairs in Riley and Matthews's room," he says. We are all the same size, so it makes sense if we fit into his mom's clothes, but they had been here for years. What if they were to dry rot?

"I'll look, but if they have been here a while, they could be dry-rotted or moldy," I said. He nods.

I ran inside and up the stairs. Riley was in the second room on the left. I knock on the door, waiting for someone to answer. But no one answers. I hit again and waited. Finally, the door opened, and there stood Riley. The look of sorrow planted on her face. She had to shoot her sister, and even though it was fake, she felt horrible. I grin at her and hug her. She doesn't want to hug me back, but she does.

"Wesley said there was a box of clothes here. Derek's mom had them in a box in the closet," I said. Riley nods, opening the closet door. Sure enough, there was a large box on the closet floor. I grab it, having to hurry it out.

I open it, and we're clothes inside new bags, like mall bags. And quite a few. Different sizes from 2-6 around our sizes. I was a four or a 6. Both my sisters were anywhere from 2-4. There were a lot of size four, though. And different styles. Some dresses, some pants, some pant outfits. Those were perfect for Chloe. There were a few knee-length shorts, perfect for Riley, and two pairs of skinny jeans I had my eye on. The blouses were different, some striped blouses, which Riley took. And some plaid, which she also took.

Chloe walked in right when we were in the middle of sorting the outfits. She spotted a beautiful mint pantsuit and grabbed it. She loves pants, suits, and dresses, so she took anything that looked posh. I chose solid blouses even if they dress in style.  I would make it work. The sisters were all together and all happy that they were still alive.

"I'm taking these to my room, but we should cook dinner together," Chloe said. Riley and I looked at each other and smiled. And we agreed.

I took my outfits to my room, hanging them in the cabinet. Afterward, I spotted something I hadn't before. There was a secret compartment. I tried to open it, but I couldn't get my fingers around the opening. So I looked around to find something I could use. After a few minutes, I found a letter opener, stuck it in between the crack of the opening, and pushed against it until it finally popped open. Inside were weapons. Guns, knives, everything you could think of. The buffet wasn't that big, but the compartment didn't need to be to fit a few weapons inside.

"The mother-load, this is sweet," I said. I grabbed a knife from the cabinet and began examining it. It was a hunter's knife. His dad must've been a hunter. This was a sweet hiding place. I wanted to tell Wesley and Derek but realized there might have been better times.