Chapter 28

Riley left, and I told her I would be just fine. I just wanted to be alone for a little bit. She promised to check on me every hour on the hour, to which I laughed. She was invested in my healing. Derek had been carrying around guilt all this time. But it was my fault. No wonder he didn't blame me. He blamed himself. He was mad at himself. But it wasn't his fault. I was stupid, and I wasn't thinking.

Riley kept her secret, checking in on me every hour. I was lying here, unable to get up, but I wanted to and needed to go to the bathroom, which was difficult. I was still in those silk pajamas. But I didn't feel like staying in these pajamas long. Sweats would be nice. I had been given a bell found upstairs in case I needed to ring someone. Derek had stayed clear of me for a while. The guilt had eaten into his sense of personality.

I needed to do this myself, though. Maybe the nurse ordered rest, but I was so much stronger than that. And I knew I could do it. I just needed something to lean on. And I hoped I didn't have jelly legs. I leaned on my arms, pushed myself to the edge of the bed, and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. I pulled the IV out of my hand, covering the hole with my hand until it stopped.

There was nothing to hold myself up. I would have to hope my legs could hold me. I used an excellent portion to push myself up and used the bed to keep myself steady, hopping towards the door. It took me a few minutes, but I finally reached the door. With a twist of the doorknob, the door swung open. I couldn't see anyone around, but I needed to do this.

I hopped out. And turned to my left. And I held the wall, continuing to hop on the one good leg. I almost made it, too, but my knee buckled under me, causing me to fall forward; I fought myself with my hands on the floor. And I heard footsteps. I was surprised to find out who it was when they spoke.

"Addison, what the hell are you doing," I heard Chloe say. And Noah was not far behind her. She helped me up off the ground. And Noah helped hold me up.

"I needed to use the bathroom, and I didn't want to be a burden," I said. Noah gave me a look of disappointment.

"You are not a burden; you are hurt, and as your almost brother-in-law, I can say this: stop being stubborn and let someone help you," he said. I sigh, knowing he's right. Derek rounds the corner with Riley. Derek looks at us and jogs, literally jogs to us.

"What happened," he asked. Chloe told him I was going to the bathroom alone, and I fell.

"Addison, that's what we are here for, to help," he said. I throw my head back. I get it. I did, but I didn't want to worry anyone. Riley looks pissed.

"You know, I have you a bell for a reason; maybe use it," she said. I nod and look at Derek.

"Will you help me," I ask him. He looks at everyone. Chloe nods. Riley too. We needed to talk anyway. He sighs.

"I'll carry you," he said. Placing his left arm under my leg and his right around my back.

He carries me to the bathroom with ease. I must not have been too heavy because he picked me up like it was nothing. Derek sat me down easily and started to walk out of the door. But I grabbed his arm and shook my head. He sighs again.

"Fine, I'll turn around," he said, turning. I quickly sat down. He covered his ears while I used the bathroom. But once I flushed and stood up, I tapped him on the shoulder, and he turned around about to pick me back up. But hopped back.

"I know you're feeling guilty about what happened," I said. He opens his mouth, but instead of talking, he shuts it and nods.

"Riley," he says. I tilt my head.

"Derek, this was my fault, mine, not yours, Riley's, Chloe's or Wesley's. This was my fault. I was stupid, and I tried to help one otter and was attacked by a wolf; you couldn't have stopped that. If I hadn't gone out in the first place.."