Chapter 34

This could have been better. They are going to break in. And try to do it quietly. Lee covered his tracks with this one. Sending two men to break into a cabin. How did he find it? Was he having people search the woods? He somehow found it and now we were in danger. However, it was four against two. It wasn't a fair fight. He sends two men to a cabin with double the number of people, not realizing what they are walking into.

This would be an excellent time to get dressed, though. Quickly. I slip my jeans on and a hoodie. And I still had my shoes on. Now, I was ready for a fight. It didn't take me thirty seconds to dress when I Knew where my clothes were. But now that I was prepared, I looked back to Derek. He was stirring a little bit, still asleep. He was about to wake up and see me. Maybe I shouldn't be holding his gun. As if on cue, his eyes fly open. He noticed his gun was gone, and he began looking around on the bed and noticed me gone until I came closer.

"Addison, why do you have my gun," he asked. I put my fingers to my mouth.

"Did you hear that," the short man outside said. Derek's eyes flashed toward the window and back at me.  I walk closer and closer to Derek until I'm right in his face. He looks down in fear.

"Give me my gun," he said. I shook my head. I didn't want to. He raises a brow.

"Addison, give me my gun," I gulped. And I tried to speak, but I couldn't get it out. He slides his hand down my arm until he finally grasps the gun and my hand.

"What is it," he asks.

"Those two men are sent to kill us, all of us, including you; they've been outside for a while trying to come in. I woke Wesley, Noah, and Matthew to let you sleep and grabbed your gun; it's my turn to protect you," I said. His face falls into a passion. And sadness.

"Addison, it's not your place to protect me; it's mine to protect you," he said. But he didn't let go of me and the gun. A tear streamed down my cheek. He notices and wipes it away.

"You'll be okay; now give it to me," he said. I didn't want to fight him so I let go of the gun. 

I walk out into the kitchen, where Wesley stands by the window, looking outside. He wouldn't see anything because they were next to our window. And the door. Derek trailed me. He wasn't about to let me out of his sight. Wesley sees Derek and me, and he drops his shoulders. And I shrug.

"He woke up, but I heard those two goons talking; Lee told them to come in, using whatever they could," I said. Wesley swore under his breath.

"Okay, wake Dani and the girls, just in case we need to leave," Wesley said. I nod and look at Derek, who is looking between us, confused.

I walk out, running upstairs. I relay the message to the boys, and they walk into the girls' room as I enter Dani's. She's yawning, sitting up. And she noticed me. I liked Dani. She was a great friend. But there was a better time.

"Dani, there are two men outside working for Lee. I woke Wesley, Noah, and Matthew up, and then Derek woke up, and they are trying g to break in quietly; Noah and Matt are waking the girls up in case we have to leave or something," I said. She stands up and nods to me.

"I'm getting dressed. I'll be right down," she said. I nod and walk into the hall. Chloe and Riley are dressed in jeans and a hoodie as well. The difference was Mine was Black, and the others were navy.

"Chloe, Riley, we need to head downstairs, everyone," I said, looking at them all. We head downstairs, waiting in the kitchen with Derek and Wesley.

Eventually, Dani meets us, too. Derek kept watching outside like Wesley. Finally, Wesley moved to the door. Riley and Chloe kept looking at each other. They were scared, I could tell, but they were trying to stay strong. I knew the feeling. I felt hopeless, but what could I have done?  Derek looks back at me. And the others. Dani excuses herself to go with Wesley. Matthew and Noah are standing near the kitchen door with the pistols. The girls were standing by the fridge.

"Girls, maybe you should duck behind the bar just in case," I said. They look at me with a smirk. 

"Not happening; I am not hiding while you stand in the open with no weapon or protection," Chloe says. Riley nods.

"Yeah, and besides, it's two against eight, I don't think that's a fair fight on their side," she says. Derek grins and looks at me and drops his face. And again, I've managed to upset him somehow. But he would never let anything hurt me. I knew that.

A few moments pass, and we hear the door being pried open. They could have done a better job, but they were trying. Derek would never let them through the door without putting a bullet in them. Wesley either. But they were pushing in on the door. Riley and Chloe stood together, hoping this was a bad dream. Noah and Matthew prepared themselves for the worst. I was still in shock.

It wasn't long after the noise died down. But there was no noise at all. It was as if they had given up. But then, out of nowhere, the glass shattered in the kitchen window; Derek doubled over, trying to keep the glass from hitting his face. I grab the girls and motion them upstairs.

"You need to hide now," I said. They nod, running upstairs. Derek straightens himself just as the short guy is boosted through the window. But he didn't expect to see all of us in here. Derek and Noah stand, pistols ready. Matthew is beside me, ready in case something Happens. The guy has a mask on, but quickly, Derek grabs the man's head, jerking it off. To reveal a man probably late 30s or early 40s. He's got a five o'clock shadow. He's Caucasian and has brown hair.

"Well, this is not good," he says as Derek hits him on the back of his head, knocking him out. Just as Noah had grabbed him, dragging him aside, Wesley and Dani came in confused.

"The other guy ran off; we saw him," Dani said. We nod to them, and Wesley takes the guy to the living room and ties him up with a rope. And he's stuck.

The girls come back down after Matthew and Noah yell for them. They see this guy tied up, and they become curious as to why Lee would send two Goons after us in the middle of
The night. Riley even asked Derek that question.

"My guess is he's getting impatient now, and he wants us dead sooner than later," he said. I looked at the man, still unconscious. He doesn't seem like an assassin but came through the window on orders. This was unusual. Maybe they were working for Lee only to get caught. The other guy ran away.

"Guys, he's a decoy; Lee is bringing in the Calvary."