3: Food

It was not a restful night's sleep. She spent it leaning against a tree with her bow in her lap, mostly resting while listening for sounds of anything that might be drawn to the firelight. When the sun started to peek through the branches overhead, he was still sleeping soundly. He hadn't moved at all through the night and if it wasn't for the steady rise and fall of his chest, she'd have sworn he'd died despite her best efforts.

A quick check of her bag yielded a day or two of dried meat and half a waterskin. It would be best to avoid using up the small ration of food if she could help it. The closest village was at least a week's walk from here, and that was for a healthy traveler. There was no telling how long it would be before he could walk at all, and they'd need food.

If she left to hunt, he could wake up and wonder off, if he was even capable of walking. She'd have to track him back down now that she'd decided she had to keep him alive. She wasn't worried about him getting too far, or even that he'd be hard to track. She just didn't want to have to backtrack if he went the wrong way.

On the other hand, he could be unconscious for days. It was worth the risk to find food. She'd need to eat if she was going to wait out his recuperation. Adding more wood to the pit, she breathed new life into the dying embers. The small fire should keep him warm enough while she was gone.

She slung her bow over her shoulder, hesitating only a moment before stalking off, between the trees. Without having to travel far, she found a bramble patch. A rabbit was digging up some edible roots, not far from the patch; it's burrow probably hidden behind the thorny branches.

Crouching low, she knocked back an arrow, wincing as the bow groaned. The hare hadn't noticed the sound as she'd feared; intent on its own morning meal. Checking her aim, she let out a slow breath and released the string. The arrow scored on the beady little eye, a quick and clean kill.

While retrieving her prize, she finished digging out the roots that the rabbit had been after. Wild carrots would make a nice crisp snack latter, so she tucked them into the pouch on her waist. Retracing her steps, she found him right where she'd left him. It really was starting to look like he would be out for a few days, if he woke up at all.

She might've waited too long to save him. If she had to, she'd force some water and boiled herbs down his throat for now. The one rabbit wouldn't make a great feast, but it would be more food than he'd had in the past few days. He needed nourishment and water to be steady on his feet if she was going to get him anywhere.

A log snapped in the flames making a loud audible pop, and as if she'd poked him with a hot coal, he startled awake, almost flailing into the flames. Her reflexes saved him and her cloak a burn, pushing his arm away and knocking his shoulder back gently. He stared up at her wide eyed; scrambling away like she'd stabbed him instead of saved him.

Annoyed, she returned her attention to the meat roasting before her. It wasn't like he'd make it very far on his own and he was so clumsy, a child could track him. If he wanted to try and run, she'd let him and just find him again after she'd finished her meal.

As his shock slowly wore off, he started taking inventory, patting himself down. Finding his ring and coin purse intact, he moved on to his boot, probably looking for his dagger after noticing his sword had been removed. He moved further back, realizing he was unarmed. Outside the short range of the little bit of heat the fire put out, he started pulling her cloak tighter around himself. She watched the realization slowly dawn on his face, it wasn't his cloak.

Sighing loudly through her nose, she pulled the meat from the heat and twisted one of the hind legs off. He watched her closely as she took a bite and chewed. She let him watch her take two more bites before extending the remaining roast towards him.

"You're sharing it with me?" he used a language from one of the far northern kingdoms, Novgorod if she was right. Pretending not to understand, she cocked her head to the side and stared blankly at him. Then she extended the meal towards him again. "For me?" this time he asked in the common language used by merchants, sailors and traders.

She simply nodded and extended the skewered rabbit a third time. This time he took it from her, only coming close enough to accept the food. She could've answered in either language, but decided it would be better to play the part of a wild savage woman rumored to hunt and killing anyone who dare enter the wilds.

He tried to remain poised, and took a small dainty bite. She snorted back her laughter. After swallowing that first mouthful, he took larger bites, proper etiquette thrown to the wind. He watched her like a hawk as they ate. He picked the bones clean and followed her lead, tossing them into the ashes as he finished.

He jumped slightly when she stood up in one smooth fluid motion. She'd wanted to unnerve him a little, just to show him that she would be able to out maneuver him if she need to. Then she paused as if not sure how to proceed. She needed him to follow her and she had to convince him without talking now. Trying to look unthreatening, she uncovered his weapons and stepped away, turning her back to him as she slung her bow and pack over her shoulder.