7: Warmth

He didn't know how to make the structure she was building, but he cut limbs for her. Using his sword, he was able to cut branches faster, and soon had a pile for her to work with. Some she had set aside, they were larger and less flexible. These she placed upright and wedged them in place to form something like walls around the platform she'd built on the lower branches.

                When they were done, they'd made an odd little basket cabin in the tree. It was small but, it was large enough for them to both sit inside, if somewhat crammed together. It would block the rain as if fell from overhead, and the walls would block the wind. They would even be up off the ground and out of the mud. She used her newly made patchwork cape as a cover for the gap left open so they could crawl inside.

                They shared a meal of cold fish, raw roots and berries they'd collected through the day before. When she finished eating, she pulled her knees up to her chest. Her arms wrapped around them, and she laid head on her knees to sleep for the night. He tried to follow her lead but lacked the flexibility and had too much mass to become so compact.

                The sound of the rain outside made it hard to find sleep, especially after a gust that found its way between the walls they'd built made her shiver. He surprised her when he pulled the cloak from his shoulders and draped it over the both of them as best he could in the cramped space. Sharing their heat under the wool made it easier to find sleep.

                The morning was dull and grey as it met them. Clouds still loomed overhead, sending the rain to drizzle down through the trees. They wouldn't be making much progress today. They'd barely made one days trek over the last two days, but she couldn't control how fast he regained his strength and she certainly couldn't control the weather.

                Her body ached, the muscles felt cramped, having held herself in one position for so long. There was no room to stretch, and her body protested as she worked her way out the small opening. She moved carefully, tucking the cloak around him as she moved out of the cramped space, trying not to wake him.

                Staying crouched under the shelter of the tree's branches, she stretched out each part of her body, one by one, until the pain subsided. It was much colder today. She could see her breath, and even the rain looked thick and sluggish. They might see an early snow this year.

                But this was all bad news for someone that was trying to lead a clumsy oaf through the woods. Especially since neither of them were equipped for cold weather. Hunting would at least give them food and the stream would provide plenty to drink. But they couldn't just stay hunkered down here indefinitely either.

                Sighing, she glanced at her bow, hanging on a branch. Hunting wouldn't do any good this morning. Everything was soaking wet, no chance to build a fire. She'd have to give him jerky today. He wasn't going to recover on the few berries and roots she had left. He needed protein. Today would at least give him a chance to rest up.

                She sat out in the chilled air until she heard him stir and wake up. "We're not going to get very far today, are we?" He sounded as upset about it as she was, so she just frowned and shook her head. "And you'd probably be in a much more favorable place if it weren't for me slowing you down." Her lips quirked into a smile and she shrugged.

                Reaching back into the nest they'd climbed out of, she pulled her pack to the opening and began fishing around inside, producing a small bundle. She handed it over to him and emptied what was left of the foraged food from the bags side pockets, handing it to him as well. He looked at her with a bewildered expression. Sighing heavily, she made eating motions until he caught on, unwrapping the jerky and chewing it gratefully.