Chapter 20

A while later, she left us both and asked Abdul to take me home. I felt goosebumps crawling on my skin as my heart started beating harder, but I tried as much as possible to control my breath.

“And please, be romantic, okay?” She added as he took me to his car.

I waved her goodbye, and we left their compound.

We listened to Al-qunut till we entered Zainab’s extra-large compound.

“Ummm... Aren’t you leaving?”

“Can’t I sleep over?”

“No, you can’t.” I burst out laughing.

“We are going to live together when we get married, anyway.”

“Who knows what’ll happen later on? Say Insha Allah.”

“We’ll have to get married to know that for sure.”

“Then... Are you saying you will not marry me? Are you dating someone in Lagos?”

“No, I don’t have a boyfriend. I had none.” I so hate this feeling. Why is he suddenly like this? “I told you yes, I will. Only after we get our families’ blessings.” I frowned.

“I’ll take care of that, okay? I barely got a wink of sleep this entire time. So, can’t you let me sleep here? It’s as if Zainab isn’t back home, right?” He looked toward the windows.

“Go home and sleep...” I insisted.

“Don’t worry, I’ve been feeling sleepy since you’ve accepted my proposal.”

“So, how are our babies doing? The delivery date is 2 weeks from now, right?”

“Yes, so soon...” I smiled. “Okay, I’ll take care. See you soon.”

“I’ll call you when I get home, okay?” He smiled back at me as I walked in.

“Okay, bye!”

“Bye.”

***

In Abuja

8:30 p.m

When I came back from doctor Abdullah’s house, I met Zainab watching a movie in the livingroom. Hajia Amina’s driver dropped me off.

“I’m so sorry Aisha, forgive me...”

“Forgive you? For what?”

“For what I’ve said to you, how I’ve treated you... I realise that you and doctor Abdullah are meant for each other.”

“Really?!”

“Yes... As of now, I will stop doubting you two and I’ll support any decision you make.”

“Why are you telling me this? I feel there is a reason behind this sudden change?”

“What? don’t you trust me? Are you doubting me?!”

“No..not that. It’s just unbelievable!”

“Well, I started thinking... they were taking my daughter away from me. I would be home alone again, you know. No one to gist with, no one to eat with or tell me how beautiful i look... In a nutshell, I want to make you happy so you would get impressed and stay with me longer.”

“You’re so cute when you want to be Zainab. You’re so like my mum... “ I rushed to her with a big hug. She blushed at my action.

“Wait... Something looks different.”

“Really?” I pulled back and stared at her for a moment. “Something like?”

“Your smile and attitude... You’re looking happier. Did something happen between you two?”

“Yes...” It just rang a bell that we got engaged today.

“Emmm... Abdul. I mean, doctor Abdullah proposed to me today.”

“Subhanallah! Seriously?” I mumbled at the ring.

“Yes..” I replied happily, showing her my finger.

“Wow! It’s beautiful...” She stared at it previously. “This is genuine diamond!” She slowly whispered.

“Really?” Well, I never knew.

“Masha Allah, I’m happy for you Aisha. Let’s celebrate! This calls for celebration!!” Zainab yipped at me.

“Yes! That reminds me, I bought something for you...” She stood up and rushed into the kitchen.

“Really? What is it?” I stretched my neck to the back, eager to know if it was a cake or something.

“Give me a second. I’ll be right back!”

“Okay!” I waited, watching the programme she was watching on t.v. She brought a cooler and cutlery.

“What’s it, Zainab? Did you cook something for me?”

“No, not exactly. I attended a friend’s birthday party today and brought you something. You’re my daughter, remember?” Watching Zainab’s lips flourished with a bright smile gladden my heart. I haven’t seen her smile like this in a while.

“Huh-huh, that’s lovely of you, mum. But I’ve taken dinner at their house. I’m satisfied.” I whined, childlike.

“Don’t say no now, else?” She opened the cooler. She filled it with pounded-yam and vegetable soup, my favorite. And the aroma was a killer, mouth-watering!

“The babies are hungry. Just take the yogurt at least.” She persuaded with a winkle.

“Come on, Zainab ... Okay, I’ll start with the chilled yogurt.” I concluded and poured an amount into a glass cup. Just then, I felt uncomfortable as I rushed into the toilet to pee.

I was so tired that I stretched my lazy body on the bed and sleep. About an hour later, I heard Zainab’s screaming.

“Auch! Ha, Aish-!!” she sharply mumbled.

I rushed to the kitchen, the glass of yogurt broken into a million pieces beside her. She must have taken a sip or something.

“Zainab! What’s wrong? Get up, please?!”

“Call someone... Help me! Aisha!!!” she cried in pain, unable to move.

I didn’t know how to drive. I would have taken her to the hospital. It was so fast; I had no choice than to call Dr. Abdullah.

Zainab clung to her hands to her stomach on the floor, coughing harder and crying in pain.

“A’auzubillah!! W...what! What is it?!”

I rushed to hold her up.

It was just 10:14p.m. He might be awake. I dialed his number, but he wasn’t picking. I tried it repeatedly... finally. He picked.

“Assalam Alaiku-“

“Please, can you come over? Zainab is dying.”

“What?! I’ll be right there in a moment!!”

I held her in my arms, confusedly. Not knowing what to do. I carried her to the living room. My back and waist started paining me, as if I would collapse soon. I held my belly and slowly recited some prayers. I watched Zainab groan and scream in sharp pains. Until she started checking and vomiting blood.

‘Auzubillahi Minash Shaitanir Rajim

The Beneficent, Save me from the hands of the devil.’ I muttered to myself.

My vision turned blurry as I breathed slowly, my chest lightened.

‘... In, Out...In, Out.’

‘What is this Aisha? Be strong for him, breath for your children...’ a voice mumbled in my head as my head spun, slowly and gradually. I became even weaker. Soon, I heard the horn of his car, but it’s as if he was too late. I couldn’t hold myself any longer.