Chapter 20

In a while, Dr. Abdullah and. Mallam Dogo, Hajia Amina’s personal driver, entered. They rushed to me first. I and Zainab of were lying powerless on the floor, unable to move. I was still breathing. Zainab wasn’t.

“Help Zainab first.” I mumbled.

He held my arms and helped me up.

“I promised to take away your sorrows, remember?”

He took me into his car while his driver carried Zainab. In no time, we reached the hospital and were both attended to right away. They took us to different wards.

They gave me an injection to reduce the pain and help me relax.

About 30 minutes later, the doctor called Abdullah in reception.

“She can go home right away, Dr. Abdullah.” The doctor advised.

“She needs to avoid stress and tension. You’re her doctor... I think should understand better.”

“Yes, I do.” He wiped away the sweat on his forehead. “Don’t worry, she’ll be fine.”

“How’s Zainab?” I muttered, trying to catch a breath and sitting upright.

“What about the other lady... How is she?” Abdullah asked.

We gave her an antidote, but she’s not responding. Because of the tests and autopsy we carried out on here, we found out that someone poisoned her.

“What?! poisoned?”

“Yes, we hope she responds to the treatment soon.”

“But how come?” I wondered.

“Okay, I understand. I’ll come back to check on her tomorrow.”

Dr. Abdullah helped me into his car and took me home, to his house. He left Mallam Dogo, his driver, to stay with Zainab in the hospital.

Hajia Amina was still awake. As she was percolating in the livingroom, she heard the car’s horn and rushed outside.

“What’s wrong, my daughter-in-law? Are you alright? Please, Talk to me?”

She cupped my face into her cold, trembling hands.

“She’s alright, mum, let’s go inside.” Abdullah suggested.

They helped me into the sitting room, and I took a bottle of warm water. I was so sleepy, but I explained everything to both of them.

Hajia led me to the guest room where I slept, sweet and sound, like a new baby.

***

The Akerele’s just arrived from Lagos. They informed the police about a missing pregnant girl and soon; the news got viral.

***

The Next Morning...

I woke up sound and healthy as I lazily stretched myself out of bed. I rubbed my neck simultaneously.

“Where am I?” I wondered. Pipping through the window, I saw Abdullah’s cars, and I wondered what really happened last night.

Just then, Abdullah’s mother waked in.

“Daughter-in-law, you’re awake!” She smiled at me brightly, giving me a tender hug.

“Assalam ‘Alaikum ma.” I greeted as my weak eyes caught her view. “What happened last night?”

“You almost passed out. Luckily, Abdul rushed you and your friend Zainab to the hospital. The doctors carried out an autopsy, suggesting someone poisoned her.”

“What P...poisoned?” I rubbed my forehead in a circular motion. In the blink of an eye, I remembered everything.

“How can she get poisoned after she served me?”

“She what?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Zainab served me when I got home last night, but I touched nothing because I was too tired.”

“Something smells fishy. How much did you trust that your friend?” Hajia asked.

Just then, I heard the door slam close. Dr. Abdullah entered the room. As he walked in, our eyes met. Immediately, I looked away shyly. He blushed at my action and went to sit on a tall stool facing me and his mum.

“Yes, I’ve been thinking about it throughout the night. If it really happened, as you explained, it would have probably been you lying in that hospital. Which made me made a conclusion that Zainab poisoned your food. Thank goodness you ate nothing. I don’t know if you want to file a case and investigate the cause of the food poisoning or not. I can help with anything.”

“No, I don’t think we should investigate on anything but Zainab almost died. We reconciled yesterday, and she felt so happy about our engagement. I don’t know why I’m feeling wrong and feeling wronged at the same time. Zainab took me in when I had nowhere to go. She accepted me when I had nobody. Zainab is more like a sister to me, but... why would she want to poison me?”

Dr. Abdullah let out a deep breath. “We don’t know yet... Since we’re not 100% sure and we have no evidence... I have friends that can help in this case.”

“I’m going to investigate this myself. I don’t want to inform the police. Zainab would feel back-stabbed if something goes wrong, and she gets suspected or arrested for no reason.”

“No... but we can’t just bury this in our minds like it never happened. I would recommend you stay here for the main-time. Your life is in danger too, Aisha. Don’t you think?”

“Yes, but I’m thinking... who it is?”

“Who would try to kill me and Zainab? Ughh! Maybe it’s Sahil.’

“Who is Sahil?”

“He is one stupid guy... Uh! no, it can’t be!” I rubbed my forehead in confusion again. “You know what? Let’s just forget it.”

“Aisha,” Abdullah squatted in front of me, holding my hands with he’s. “You’re heavily pregnant. If it’s a time you need love, care and attention, it’s right now.” He sounded so true as he stared into my eyes. I still have goosebumps crawling on my skin whenever he’s so close.

Suddenly, we heard a knock on the door. We weren’t expecting anyone that morning. Abdullah went to open the door. What he saw was unbelievable...

‘A staff of police officers.’