𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝐒 𝐀 𝐕 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀 𝐇

The Hard Deck. Owned by Penny Benjamin. There are many bars in this town but this one is every pilot's favorite. That's how it seems at least. It's the closest one to the top gun detachment's location so maybe it's just the most convenient.

Personally I don't drink so I don't exactly have a say in the matter. My Dad was a drunk. He battled with alcoholism for his entire life. I've seen what it does to a family, how it tears them apart. When I turned 21 I made a promise that I would never take a swig of any alcoholic beverage. I've kept that promise. I've had to.

My ex husband, Grant is an alcoholic. That's why he's my ex husband. When we were dating I'd known that he would drink here and there so I didn't think much of it. There was my first mistake. When we got married he slowly became worse and worse. He started abusing me, physically, emotionally, and mentally. I was planning to leave him, but then I'd found out I was pregnant with Sawyer and Sage. He promised me that he would quit the drinking, but he lied. I finally called it quits when he got into an accident with the kids in the car. He was charged with a DUI and a few other things and was put in jail for some time. He got out recently and I've limited his contact with the twins, which he hasn't liked but I don't really give a-

"Hey, Savannah!" I look to my left, Penny stands at the end of the bar waving me down. "You okay?"

My face flushes as I realize I've been standing in the middle of the room like an idiot for the last five minutes. I scratch my head and go to take a seat at the bar.

"Yeah I'm fine, Penny. Just zoned out." I look around the room.

"What are you doing here? Where's those babies of yours?" She asks as she makes a screwdriver.

"They're at home with Saoirse." I bite my lip, looking back to her. "I've been called back to top gun."

She raises her brows. "Really?" She glances at a guy a few chairs down from me. "You hear that Pete?"

I look down and take a good look at the guy. He's wearing a sage green pilot jacket with patches all over it. He turns to face me. "Miss Ledger." He nods a head at me.

"How do you know my name?" I furrow my brows at him.

He smiles awkwardly. "Please try to keep this on the down low. But I will be your top gun instructor." He holds a hand out. "I'm Pete Mitchell."

Realization hits me, I grab his hand to shake it. "Maverick." I've heard a lot about him. "You are quite a character and you've got quite the reputation."

"So I've been told." He laughs lightly. "I've seen your record. You're pretty good for someone your age."

"You mean I'm good for a girl?" I quirk a brow at him as if to challenge him. He stutters as he tries to correct himself. His eyes widen, he flails his hands around. I laugh looking to Penny. "I like this guy." I glance at his phone placed on the bar. "Uh oh." I drag out as I look back to Penny.

"What? What is it?" He asks. She points to her sign. "Disrespect a woman or the navy. Or leave your phone on my bar." He sucks in some air as he lifts his phone up.