𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

𝐒 𝐀 𝐕 𝐀 𝐍 𝐍 𝐀 𝐇

"So Grant bailed again?" Saoirse asks as she munches on her breakfast burrito.

Once again we are both on our way to work. She practically ordered me to stop at the gas station so she could get a nutritious breakfast. I stuck to a pop tart.

"Yep." I sigh. "Luckily the kids were too distracted to notice."

"Yes I heard Sage ask if Rooster would be picking them up again." I try my best to avoid her gaze.

"Yes. Bradley was a big help and I don't know how I can repay him for all he did." My palms sweat as I grip the steering wheel. No one has done anything like that for me before. Obviously I have Saoirse but I had to beg her to move in with me.

"I know how." She smirks. "Give him the baby daddy special."

"You are disgusting." I retort. "I may have two kids but I am no whore."

"Whatever." She rolls her eyes. "You've gotta admit though. He is a cutie."

"You want me to set you up with him?" I snap.

She scoffs. "Ew no! Not my type. But he is definitely yours."

"I hope not. You saw my last husband." I comment as I pull into work. "Besides I need to focus on my career and my kids. Bradley is a great friend but that is all he will be." As of right now.

"Tell your boyfriend I said hi." Saoirse says waving me off.

***

"Good morning, Mama Bear." Hangman calls as I head down the hallway.

"Morning Blondie." I walk past him and I hear him call after me.

"Woah woah woah! You gotta see this!" He chases after me and shows me a picture.

I glance over it and see that it's from a long time ago. "Nice. I love ancient history." I mumble before walking off.

"No look!" He taps me and points to a section of the photo.

"Oh hey it's Maverick!" He looks so young.

"And..." he slides his finger over to the right.

"Goose." I nod before I realize who it is. "Oh."

"So it is Daddy Bradshaw?" He snickers.

"Why does it matter, Hangman?" I ask.

"No reason." He shrugs. "I just needed confirmation."

He smiles smugly and I roll my eyes before walking off.

***

"Time is your worst enemy." Maverick starts. "Stage 1 of the mission is to advance at low altitude in two teams. You will reach your destination through this narrow canyon. The area smells of radar-mounted heat-seeking missiles. These missiles are deadly." You don't say. "But they are designed to protect the sky above, not the canyon below."

"Because the enemy knows that no one is insane enough to fly under them." Bradley calls out.

Maverick turns to face him as if he was waiting for someone to say that. "That's exactly what I'm going to train you to do." This should be interesting. "On mission day, your altitude will be 1000 feet. Maximum."