Chapter 40. "We are fine"

Emily's phone was flooded with birthday texts in the morning.

Gwyn: Happy birthday, Emmmmmyyyy

She opened Gwyn's text, and she had to tell her. She didn't know what to do next.

Emily: We need to talk. I am screwed

Gwyn's reply was almost immediate

Gwyn: Do you want me to come to your home???

Emily: I will go to yours

Gwyn: Be quick, and everything will be fine

"Happy birthday, both of my babies are grown up." their mother hugged both of them. "Thank you, Mum," she said. "I can't believe seventeen," their mother said.

"We need to talk," their father said, bringing in the cake. "I am sorry?" both of them said in unison. "About what?" Their father asked. "Anything...we did that you found," Emily hit Edward's arm to stop him from talking. "Ignore him. We didn't do anything, right?" Emily asked. "No.. " their father said.

"Sit down three of you," their mother said, walking into the kitchen. "Let me get that," their father said following her. "Why did you apologize?" Emily whispered. "Hey, you did too," Edward said. "Do you think they found out about Brownie?" she asked. "They would soon," Edward said.

"Do you think they found out that we flushed Nana's vase  last month?" Edward asked. "Hey, it was old. What could they possibly want to talk about," she said. "I hate when they say it," Edward said as the parents walked back in.

"We know it's your birthday, but" their father started and looked at their mother. "It's about Nana," she said. Edward and Emily looked at each other." She is sick and we have to go and see her and we won't be here for your birthday," he said.

Emily and Edward shared a smile and looked at their parents, "we will surely throw you a birthday party when we come back," their mother said. "Don't worry about it, Mum," Edward said. "We will be fine," she said. "We are sorry," their father said. "When are you two leaving?" Edward asked. "We have a flight in an hour," their mother said. "Then you should leave soon," Edward said. Emily kicked him under the table.

"We are leaving in a minute. Take care of both of you, Emily. Watch him," their mother said. "I will," she said. The door closed, and they watched their parents drive off. "Are you thinking what I am thinking?" Edward asked.

"House," she said "party" Edward finished. "You are going to stay at home today?" he asked, taking the plates, Brownie walked beside them. "No, I am going to Gwyn's," she said. "You could join us, we are going to the beach, everyone will be there," he said. "Exactly, I think I am fine," she said. She couldn't face Sam, William, or Isabel at the present.

"Do you want me to drive you?" he asked. "I think I will walk, I am taking Brownie with me," she said. "Take the keys." he handed her the keys, and she walked out. The cool air really helped her calm down. She tried not to think about Sam anymore.

"Emily?" William asked, walking up to her. "Hi, what are you doing here?" she asked. "I live here," he said. She looked around, "Right, you and Gwyn are neighbors," she said. "Let me walk you to her house," he said. "Sure," she said, looking at the distance, a five minutes walk with him, brilliant.

"Happy birthday, Emmy," he said. "Thanks," she said, "nice puppy," he said. "This is Brownie," she said, lifting Brownie to face him. "Hello, Brownie," he said. Brownie seemed to growl. "He doesn't like me much," he said, taking a step back. "He never did that to anyone," she said.

"They are unpredictable," he said. "Seems so," she said. Silence stretched on between them. "Hey Emmy," he started. She turned towards him, "about what I said the day at the beach about being your friend I don't want to"

"Hey Emmy," Rowan's voice came from behind her. She turned to see him in a car with James and Sam. She cursed her luck as she smiled at them. "Hi, Ro," she said. "Happy birthday, Emmy," James said. "Thanks, James," she said. "Happy birthday, Emmy. Is he home?" Rowan asked. "Yes, he is," she said. "Thanks," he said. "Bye, Emmy," James said as he drove off.

"Is everything alright between you two?" William asked, watching her watch the car drive off. "Yeah, we are fine. Great, why would you ask that?" she said. "You two didn't talk. You can talk to me," he said. "No, it's nothing. we are doing fine," she said.

"Emmy" Gwyn's voice came, she saw her best friend walking un at the time she needed her the most. "I was coming to your home, hi William," she said. "Hi, Gwyneth," he said. "We have to go, bye William," she pulled Emily away.

"Thank you," Emily said, walking beside her. "You are welcome. Can't stand him," she said. She leaned her head against Gwyn's shoulder. "What's got you down on your freaking birthday?" she said, opening her door. "A lot," Emily said, walking in.

"Happy birthday, honey," Gwyn's mother said, coming in. "Thank you, Jane," she said, hugging her. "Enjoy your day, I will send up some snacks," she said. "She likes you a lot. Whats wrong with  you?" Gwyn asked. "Promise not to shout at me at the end, alright?" she asked. "You are scaring me, but continue," she said. Emily narrated everything to her.

"You are fucked" was all Gwyn said at the end.