12

"Are you alright?"

Laine. I can't be wrong, her face, her eyes. It is her.

"Looks like your ride is here." She turned to my right, I also did. That blue sedan, but we only used it when we were in the orphanage. Wait. Much to my surprise, the person in the driver's seat. Kai? What's happening?

My head.

"I'll go now. Take some rest." She said heading towards the trees. No. Laine. My head.. it's... I noticed the building on my peripheral. Wait, this is the orphanage.

'Alpha, is everything ok?' Kai mindlinked.

Did I... Did I went back?

I shook my head as I got in the car. What just happened? Why am I here?

"Aid. Water?" Kai handed me a bottle. But I was left staring at him. He looks like he... is young again. Did I really went back?

"Maybe we have to leave this place."

"No." I automatically answered taking away the water from his hand. I remember this, he wanted us not to pursue the orphanage because of her. "I just need some rest."

I don't know what is happening. All I remember was... My head hurts. But if I went back, then Laine is still alive. I can prevent her death. I can do something.

First, I need to pinpoint what date have I returned. After checking my calendar. I realized it was just before the girl from the orphanage was kidnapped. The one who took her is the "prince".

"Kai, lookup someone who calls himself Prince of Sicilia. The King has an adopted child."

"Ok. Do you think we can use him?"

Use him? I must have looked at him strangely before I realized that we were still plotting against the council during this time.

"Not exactly. Just put a tail on him and his men. They are planning to kidnap someone from the orphanage."

I saw how he hesitated at first before he nod and left.

I can't explain it to him just yet. But as far as I remember, everything falls down when that Prince targeted the girl. The chain of events lead me to reject her. It's best if she did not meet me but if I know that my rejection will cause her death.

Now, I must prevent the council. I still cannot let them, my father, knows that I know things. He wants me to reject her to draw her out. But what if I let the King know about the southern coven. It might be risky to move in a rush, I still have to remember about the seer, Elena. There's a possibility that she will know that I disrupt what she foresaw. I must think this through for now. But most of all, she is alive. That's what is important.
.

.
.
Morning came. I barely slept. And I can sleep now. Right. I am not yet the guardian. She still is. Wait. Kylo? I tried concentrating. But I still couldn't reach him. I tried touching silver and it burns. I still am a werewolf. Maybe because I was the only one who went back. The only fact that changed is that I am not a guardian in this timeline.

I drove towards the orphanage since Kai has a task at hand. As I made a turn, I saw a familiar figure walking on the side of the road. I remember this.

I stopped just beside her.

"Hey." There are bags under her eyes. I remember wanting to ask if something happened but I couldn't even form any decent words. "Get in." I motioned unlocking the passenger side.

She did not say a word and buckled up.

"Where's Kaiser?"

"He has some other task." I remember this small conversation. "We're staying downtown for a week or so." I answered her unspoken next question.

She hummed. "Oh.. Uhm.. good."

I remember staying silent afraid for the life of her. I did not want to know about the danger of the council, my problems. But she too is implicated.

"Are you ok now?" She did not ask this before, did she? "You look... a little off yesterday. The kids are really a handful sometimes."

Right. I can change something.

"Children are always handful."

I saw her lips curved to a smile. "They are. If you adopt them all, you should probably make yourself ready."

"Hmm. Kai will be there."

She giggled, more to my surprise. "Yeah right. You'll make him a nice babysitter."

I can't believe that we are having a conversation.

"Are you serious on the adoption?" We got out of the car and now walking side by side. "The kids are..." She is worried for them. This place is especially under her protection. She might have an idea as to what I told the headmaster. I don't need to raise warriors, this is just an excuse so the council will not target the orphanage.

"It's a strange request. I understand you want what's best for them." She is afraid for them, and even if she has trauma with them, she still stays. She might not be known but she tries to do her role.

I stopped as we reach the front door, the hallway is filled with them. "If you promise to take care of them, I will stay out of your way. Who am I to stop them from having a good life?"

You are the guardian.