16

"You don't belong here."

...I stared at her sleeping face. The rain is still there but it has easen. Her words baffled me. Does she know? Does she know that I returned from the future? She fainted before she could say anything else.

Her eyes were golden. I may have slipped on hinting that I know she is a guardian. Why does it feel that the more I try to change fate, the more everything falls apart? Her hand was cut in my past. I told her I can't love her and after that I had to reject her. I am afraid that maybe it will also turned out that way. It scares me.

I sensed a presence just outside the room. I stood up ready to defend because this presence is unwelcoming. I slowly opened the door and...

Ruby eyes stared like a predator. My hand subconsciously turned to claws.

"Don't. It's futile." I suddenly noticed his sharp nails ready to stab me. His eyes looked behind me. Probably at Laine. Wait, this is Duke. I retracted my claws.

"She's asleep."

"I see."

I stepped back to give way.

"She's too kind for us." He stood beside her momentarily caressing her hair before staring at the window. His red eyes reflected on it.

"I couldn't save her. But you...you should save her." His words...

"Fate directs us to wherever we should be. Your mind tells you, everythings is possible. Yet, the heart is troubled, that is why this world is unstable." He turned to me. "I am but a part of the past and so is she, you can't save Laine, but you have to save her." What does he mean?

"Duke?" She's awake. Both of us turned to her.

"Hey, let's go?" He asked and she stood up. Staring at me one more time, recognizing. "Let's go." Duke repeated and I watch them leave. I have to save her, isn't that why I am here? I returned because of her, right? I have to!

I rushed out, following them. It is still raining. I can't lose her. I run and run, where is she? I have to... I have to save her. I have to... This is the only way to atone for my sin. She shouldn't die. My body is giving up on fear but I have to find her.

I stopped panting, meeting a familiar place. This tree. It was the same with my dream. No. This was where her grave will be. But, if that is in the future then, why is there a grave here?Did I... No. Was it all a waste? My knees gave up on me and all I could think of is my own failure. The rain is still pouring. This pain. This sadness.. It's..

*Tap*

My heart skipped a beat. I turned to my right, a hand tapped my shoulder and it is.

"Don't cry."

"Laine." I jumped at her, hugging her tight. As we both fall in the ground. "Don't leave me, please." I don't know if I was crying or is it just the rain.

"There. There." She pat my back.

"Don't leave me please." I repeated. My face burried on her neck. "I don't want to lose you."

"I know."

"You don't understand, you will die because of me."

She hummed.

"I will not reject you. I will never. I'm sorry. I'm... sorry. I'm sorry."

"I know. Aiden." She called. "You're here because of me." I inched myself to confirm what I just heard. Did she really know?

"You don't have to be here."

"But..."

"Forgive yourself, remember?" That... That was what I told her but she shouldn't have that memory. "It is your memory."

"I... don't understand."

"You have to go."

"No." I clinged on her tighter. "I will not leave you."

She smiled. My heart is breaking. Why does it seem like a goodbye?

"Have you heard a story? About how the sun loves the moon that he dies everynight to let her breathe?"

I don't understand.

"Thank you for wanting to go back. Thank you for always loving me in every lifetime."

What? "What are you talking..."

She closed our gap, pressing her forehead on mine. This action...

"Remember, you have to save me... her."

Images flashed behind my eyes. The wounded girl sitting by the window. The memory suppressed in my mind. I want to... save her.

"Lucy. I have to save Lucy." The tree took her. "I have to save her"

Laine smiled. "You have to go."

"I... I don't know how." She held my cheek, "Burn. Burn away this world."

As if a command, my body feels warm... hot... the pouring rain turns to vapor as it touched my skin. I can feel power resurfacing. This is different from when I am a guardian. This is...

"Burn, my love." Everything is starting to burn. And she.. is burning away.

"Wait. No."

"End your curse."

"No. Laine." I tried to hold her but she is burning more.

"Save..." She closed her eyes before she finished her words.

Everything is burning away. I stood up, my body's temperature is getting hotter but I... it's not painful. Everything is turning to white. And I... am falling. falling...

..."Aiden!"

My eyes shot open. Something is blocking my field of view. Something is constricting my body. 

Branches.

'Burn' It ignited and slowly loosening. It tries to fight off. And I am about to be covered again until a hand reached mine.

"Aiden." It pulled me away. "Are you alright?"

This voice... "Dela?" My vision adjusted.

"Hey, you're back." Back? The branches.

"Lucy!" I sat up. "Where is she?"

"There." She pointed at a huge tree. And in its trunk envelopes her. Encasing her.

I have to... "Save her."

---------------

(Any theories?) /(*o*)\