Part 1

This story used to be called 'Marriage of Convenience' - I changed the name since I felt 'Promised Partners' was better. 

Hope you enjoy the story <3

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I was laying on the floor whilst my husband kicked my stomach. New bruises forming and old ones re appearing. 

"P-please" I whispered.

He knelt down and grabbed my face harshly. "You're mine, understood?" He spat and I nodded. 

He slapped my face "words" he said. 

"Y-yes, I'm yours." I said whilst crying. 

I woke up from my dream sweating. I looked around the room and luckily found no one. I picked up the glass of water and drank it with my shaking hands.

It's been 3 years since I managed to escape from my abusive ex-husband. He used to beat me because he was self-conscious, he wasn't very handsome, and didn't have a decent job. Whilst I was the opposite, I was a lawyer at the time and now became and business women. 

I checked the time and it was almost 6am so I decided to get up and get ready for work. I was the CEO of Phoenix Enterprises. 

I got up and did my routine and put a suit on today pairing it with some natural accessories and simple makeup. 

I decided to leave my hair down today

I decided to leave my hair down today. I let it flow naturally. 

I left my room and went downstairs to the kitchen to eat something since I woke up early. 

"Good morning ma'am" Maria my house maid said and I nodded at her and sat down. 

She put a plate in front of me and as I was about to start eating my phone rang. I saw the caller ID said mom, I sighed and decided to ignore it. I finished eating and headed out. 

My driver, Pete, greeted me as I sat in. Pete has been around for a while, since I was young. I've been thinking to give him a new job since he's not exactly young so might not be the best for driving. But my dad wanted him to stay, it was a way for him to keep an eye on me. 

I got to work and headed into the elevator and into my office. 

I do feel like my office is a little too big, I don't find it necessary. But then again I like all confidential files here so It has quite a lot of shelves. 

My PA, Sara entered with my schedule for the day. We were busy like always again. I looked Sara up and down and scoffed. I deliberately dropped a file on the floor for her to pick up. She tried to bend down but since her skirt was so short and her chest was exposed she was struggling. 

I got up and picked up the file. 

"It's not the first time I've told you about your clothes." I said trying not to get angry. 

"I-um." She started speaking and I walked towards her and buttoned up her shirt fully. I glanced at her skirt and she quickly pulled it down so it covered her. 

"I don't want you whoring around in this building, understood?" I said and before she could reply my mom barges into my office. I gave Sara a sign to leave and she did. 

"You didn't pick up my call" My mom stated. 

"I was busy." I said whilst sitting back down behind my desk and started going through some files. 

"Your dad wants you to marry someone. How long will you stay like this?" I looked up at her with rage filled in me. 

"How about you and your husband mind your own business? I married before because of you both didn't I? How did it end? DO I NEED TO REMIND YOU?" I spat. 

"Phoenix-"

"Get out"

"Wh-"

"OUT." I yelled and my mom walked out before throwing a file on my desk. 

I looked at the file and saw a file on 'James Walker' making me scoff. This fool tried to make a business deal with me just to get into my pants. They expect me to marry someone like him? I scoffed and threw the file randomly somewhere and got back to my work. 

An hour had gone past and my PA runs into my office "Look at this article!" She practically screamed. 

I looked at the article and saw 'Adams Enterprises' just beat me in sales ranking. How? 

I groaned loudly and smashed my phone against the wall making Sara scream. 

"How did this ladies man beat me? HUH?" I yelled out. 

"Bring the sales and profit team" I said to Sara. 

A while later 2 guys entered with files. 

"Give me this months sales and profit records." and they did as told. 

I started reading the files and noticed some prices didn't match. I looked at the other months and the same was happening. Money was disappearing. 

I picked up the file and threw it on one of the guys faces. 

"Your fired!" I said. 

"B-but why."

"You think I can't tell you messed with the funds?"

"I didn't, I swear." He cried out. 

"Tell the truth or I will take legal action as well as firing you"

"I didn't-"

"Sara call my lawyers. Let them know the situation."

"No please." He said and I pressed the security button to get him out the building. 

_________

It was 5:00 in the evening and I had finished my meetings for today. I just had some work left when my PA directed a call to me saying it was important. 

"Hello, Phoenix speaking"

"Hello, this is Lorenzo Adams from Adams Enterprises" 

Why was he calling me? To show off?

"Oh, Mr Adams how can I help you" I said.

"I would like to meet with you, regarding a partnership" He said making me slightly shocked. 

"Sure, when?" 

"Tomorrow, at 1:00" 

"Ok, that's fine"

"Oh and also, bring your parents" He said confusing me. 

"Don't question it, you will find out tomorrow. See you" He continued and hung up. 

Why did he want to partner up? And why should I bring my parents? They have nothing to do with my business. I had so many questions in my mind that needed answering.