Part 20

"I want to ask you something" I said to Lorenzo and he walked towards and sat next to me.

I don't know if this is a good idea. What I'd I hurt him? He's been nothing but kind to me, what if I mess it up by being curious.

"Ask away." He said.

He early didn't realise the seriousness in what I was about to ask since he was still in a mood to mess about.

I felt bad for spoiling his mood but its better not than never.

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I'm just curious about something." I said slightly nervous to ask him.

"Phoenix just ask me." He said, using his dominating voice which I hadn't heard in a while.

He finally realised the seriousness is what I was about ask.

I inhaled deeply and asked the question I'd been dying to ask.

"Your mom. What happened to her?" I asked and he sighed looking down.

I could see the pain in his eyes and I felt bad asking him.

We were in silence for a while. Until I spoke. "Ignore it, you don't have to say. Let's go." I said holding his wrist to take him downstairs but he pulled me gently onto his lap.

My back was on chest. He didn't want me to see his face as he told me.

"I was 8 and Nessa was 4 when mom disappeared. We asked our dad everyday where she went but he would tell us. After a while he said she dies but we never had a funeral or anything. Being children we didn't question it since crying was our only response. But, after I got my business I did some digging and found out..." He paused for a while until he spoke again.

I didn't push him, I decided to let him speak when he wanted to.

I didn't realise I was rubbing my thumb on his hand that was on my stomach since his arms were wrapped around my waist.

"Dad had her killed to live himself." He said and my eyes widened. I turned my face to look at him but he turned his face the other way so I didn't force him.

He was more comfortable like this, so I'd let him.

We sat in silence until he spoke again.

"Now he's with a woman around the age of his own daughter. The bastard. He should have died instead." He said and I got up and wrapped my arms around his shoulder as he wrapped his around my waist.

"Theirs no point wasting your breath on them." I said as I kissed his head.

"He was in debt, so he sold his own wife. They used her and killed her. I should just kill him. I only haven't because Nessa said it would be something our mom would like." He said.

I could hear the pain in his voice and it broke me as well.

"Nessa's right. I know your mother would be proud of you." I said trying to console him.

I rubbed his back lightly as his grip around my waist tightened.

"You're strong Lorenzo, really strong. I can't imagine what you've been through and you deserve all the happiness in the world." I said and he release me and got up.

He cupped my face with his hands.

"I love you."