Chapter 2: Code Zero

A code forty-seven blasted over the Sweeter Homes intercom system meant a manager needed to handle an irate customer threatening bodily harm to an employee

A code forty-seven blasted over the Sweeter Homes intercom system meant a manager needed to handle an irate customer threatening bodily harm to an employee. A code sixty-nine meant customers were being inappropriate in the middle of the towel aisle and a code twenty-two meant the break room was out of jelly donuts.

"We have a code thirty-eight in process. I repeat—we have a code thirty-eight," Rowena whisper-shouted into the walkie-talkie normally clipped to her belt. She was stood behind a five-foot display of brightly colored shaker cups with characters from Sesame Street imprinted on them.

Gina stood next to her, holding a small bag of pretzels. She popped a pretzel in her mouth, staring at the gangly teenage boy three feet away, trying to shove potholders into the pockets of his oversized hoodie. She turned to Rowena and asked, "What's a code thirty-eight?"

The teen turned back and grinned. She was spotted. Rowena's eyes narrowed. "Shoplifter."

Gina nodded, popping another pretzel into her mouth. "Do you think all those potholders are for him? I mean, who needs that many pot-holders?"

Rowena shrugged, clipping the walkie-talkie to her belt. "I'm pretty sure he sells whatever he steals at the local flea market. Last week he was selling can-openers he stole."

"How do you know that?" Gina asked.

Before Rowena could answer, the teen stepped forward, his hands stretched out as if he were coming in for a hug. "Well, well, well, if it isn't my best customer, Rowena Flores."

Gina's mouth fell open. She pointed to the red-haired teen. "You buy his stolen goods, Rowena?"

"You can't prove I sell stolen merchandise," the teen argued.

Rowena rolled her eyes. "Give it up, Marcus. You literally leave the Sweeter Homes tag on stuff before you sell it."

Gina's eyes widened. "Rowena!"

"What? I support small businesses." Rowena placed her hands on her hips, staring at the smug teen. "Well, I did. Not anymore. Our manager, Rolando, said he'd give us fifty bucks for each shoplifter we catch. You're going down, Marcus."

Marcus made a huffing sound before shoving another potholder in his hoodie pocket. "Are you serious, Rowena? You're going to give me up for fifty bucks?"

"Oh, stop acting surprised. I'd give you up for a stick of gum."

"Where are they?" A shrill voice belonging to Karen, the assistant store manager, cried two aisles away.

Gina groaned, giving Rowena a light shove. "I cannot believe you called Karen over here. You know I can't stand her. She's always throwing the fact that she used to date Mikey in my face. I'm his girlfriend now, but she still tries to flirt with him. One of these days, she's going to regret flirting with my man."

"You don't mean Little Mikey, do you?" Marcus asked. "He's your boyfriend?"

Gina nodded. "Not that it's any of your business, but yes."