Chapter 12: Fight Night

Rainbow-colored strobe lights danced around the pink and purple fighting ring King Giles conjured up

Rainbow-colored strobe lights danced around the pink and purple fighting ring King Giles conjured up. Despite his Queen's protests, a vat of mud made up the ring's floor.

"I'm not sure how I feel about this," Cross admitted. "On the one hand, Rowena looks hot in her purple bikini. On the other hand, I don't like other men staring at her."

Abby scoffed. "As if she had a choice. King Giles forced her and his former royal guard to wear them before they could fight. It's totally sexist! What if Bubbles and Raven have nothing new to tell us?"

Matt nodded, holding his phone up to record the match. Abby slapped his hands, causing him to drop his phone.

"What? Cross told me to record Rowena!" Matt defended himself.

A crowd of hippies gathered around Rowena and her blue-haired opponent, the king introduced as Maxie. The two women circled one another. Somewhere in the distance, Queen's We Will Rock You began playing.

"Are we in the mud-splashing zone?" Liam asked, looking around at the fairies who were wearing raincoats. "It's like they've done this before."

Abby leaned forward. "Selig once told me the fairies loved mud-wrestling matches. Personally, I think King Giles is just a big pervert. I'm surprised his wife Daisy allows it."

"I know King Giles for getting his way," Cross reminded them. "Like the rest of the fairy population, he's devious, but it takes a strong woman to handle a man like him. I bet Queen Daisy doesn't care about these matches. If she did, she'd put a stop to them."

"Maybe she likes women fighting in mud and bikinis," Matt said, shrugging. Abby glowered at him. "What? Just because she's a royal doesn't mean she can't be a degenerate. Royals can be perverts just like us regular folks."

"Probably worse," Liam muttered.

"Did you just call yourself a pervert?" Abby asked Matt.

A cheer went up in the crowd as Maxi slipped and fell on her back, causing the mud to splash on the row closest to the ring.

Cross stood to the side, jaw clenched, and hands fisted at his hips.

"I know that look," Matt said, sighing. "Alpha, you cannot interfere in this fight. To do so, would be an insult to Rowena. Have faith in her. She's strong for a human."

"I know she can hold her own," Cross muttered. "You saw her go against my mother."

Liam and Matt both winced.

"A shifter has super strength. Rowena was at a disadvantage," Cross said in her defense.

Matt nodded. "You don't have to worry about the fairy being stronger than Rowena. I dated a sprite once and she didn't have super strength. They're cousins to the fairies and have similar abilities. Other than their height and wing length, they're pretty much the same species."