Chapter 3: Cross Explains

The breakroom at Sweeter Homes wasn't glamorous

The breakroom at Sweeter Homes wasn't glamorous. Human Resource posters covered the puce-colored walls along with motivational mini-posters Rolando ordered on Amazon. Menus to local restaurants covered the refrigerator doors and the smell of day-old salmon someone overcooked in the microwave lingered in the air.

Donnie Valdez, Rowena's ex-cousin-in-law, walked in with a stunned Gina in tow. Rowena leaned against a counter, her hand in a box of donuts Rolando brought in earlier. Her eyes narrowed at Donnie's appearance. He worked for the Clarkton police department but mostly handled minor arrests and traffic violations. They had arrested her enough times for her to know he never handled a murder investigation. "What are you doing here, Donnie?"

Even in his cheap suit, Donnie was handsome... if you thought men who cheated on their wives with emergency operators were handsome. He had light brown hair, hazel eyes, and a strong jawbone. He grinned at Rowena. "You didn't hear?"

"Hear what?" Rowena asked suspiciously.

"I was promoted," he preened. "You're looking at an official Clarkton homicide detective."

"No one else applied?" Rowena wondered aloud before taking a bite of her donut.

Ignoring her question, Donnie gestured to an empty plastic chair near a round wooden table. Gina pulled the chair across the cheap linoleum floor and sat.

"Are you okay, Gina?" Rowena asked. Gina was in her fifties, but she looked much younger. It wasn't unusual for young men to flirt with Gina while they were at work. A few weeks back, Rowena discovered her book club buddy was not only the paramour of a local criminal, but she had also been a stripper who danced under the name of Tipsy.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave, Rowena. I need to ask Ms. Perpulnerpaul some questions," Donnie said.

Rowena gasped, staring at her friend. "Your last name is Purple Nurple?" Rowena's voice lowered. "Gina, that means your stripper name was Tipsy Purple Nurple! That's classic!"

"Rowena, Ms. Perpulnerpaul has to answer some questions for me. I'm going to need you to leave."

Gina continued to sit quietly. Rowena took another bite of her donut before wrapping it in a napkin, whispering, "I'll save you for later, my precious." She stomped to the seat next to Gina.

"What are you doing, Rowena?" Donnie asked, annoyance lacing his words. He watched Rowena plop herself down on the chair.

"My friend is clearly in shock right now. Does she know her rights?" Rowena asked. "I've seen enough episodes of Cops to know she gets to know her Miranda Rights."

Donnie rolled his eyes. "Of course, I told her about her rights. She didn't say she wanted a lawyer and even if she did, you aren't a lawyer!"

Rowena pointed a finger at Donnie. "Objection. Hearsay!"