Chapter 20: The Beauty Pageant gets Ugly

Body glitter is never a good idea

Never.

Rowena grimaced at the iridescent glitter covering her arms and legs. "I shouldn't have listened to Liam. I put so much body glitter on, I can taste it."

Jeremiah stood before her, a hand to his chin, inspecting her. "Why did you take his advice?"

Rowena shrugged. "He said he watched a really good beauty pageant before and all the contestants wore body glitter."

Jeremiah frowned. "They did?"

"Yes, but it wasn't until after I slathered on the glitter that Abby called to tell me Liam was confused and didn't watch a real beauty pageant."

"He didn't?"

"No, it was a porno called Peggy does the Pageant about a pageant contestant who slept her way to the crown. In the sequel, she wins Miss Congeniality. I don't want to look like a porn star!"

Jeremiah chuckled.

"This isn't funny," Rowena pouted.

"You're  right. The pageant starts in an hour and you decided to use body glitter. In pageants, we're aiming for classy not courtesan," Jeremiah scolded.

Rowena's eyes narrowed. "Don't  try to insult me with fancy words, Jeremiah. I read romance novels. I know what a courtesan is."

"I think you look beautiful and sparkly...like a star," Carmen said with a smile. Her teeth were painted in red lipstick.

Rowena shuddered. She had hexed her cousin to be nice for the duration of the pageant but Carmen's personality makeover was slightly disturbing.

She forced a smile, taking a step back. "Thanks, Carmen. That's a nice dress," Rowena said, pointing to the scarlet sequined dress Carmen wore.

Carmen nodded. "It matches my lipstick."

"And your teeth," Jeremiah muttered. He whispered to Rowena, "How could she not see the lipstick on her teeth?"

"It's best not to wonder," Rowena answered.

"I'm sure you'll win the pageant and have a great time in Hawaii," Carmen continued. "You deserve it."

"That's not a nice thing to say, Carmen!" Wendy, an employee with a crush on Liam, said. She pushed up the thick glasses perched on her nose. "We all have a chance!"

"Were you eavesdropping on us?" Jeremiah asked.

Wendy blushed. She ran her hands down the pink princess gown she wore. "Of course not!"

"You heard me say Liam and you came this way," Rowena said.

Wendy huffed. "We all have to share this space to get ready. It's not like I'm listening on purpose. Not that I heard anything."