NINE

Catherine and Enola soon found a new flat. It was much nicer than the one that they had originally been staying in. Tewksbury's mother had offered both of them a place at Basilwether Hall, and while Catherine had wanted to accept her offer, Enola hadn't, and Catherine didn't want to just abandon her cousin.

So she stuck with Enola, while the majority of her thoughts were still on Tewksbury. It was as if ever since the week they spent together, planning Enola's rescue, she couldn't get him out of her head.

It was the day in which the Lords would vote on the reform bill, and Enola and Catherine were now standing outside the gate to the building, watching Tewksbury being fussed over by his mother.

The second he turned his head to the side, his gaze locked with Catherine's and he smiled. He left his mother standing there, and made his way over to the two.

"Congratulations. You finally look like the nincompoop you were born to be," Enola commented, breaking the stare between Catherine and Tewksbury.

"She means that you look good," Catherine told him, a smile on her face. "This is good."

"The vote is in an hour. It's um, it's quite the thing," Tewksbury told the two.

"We're not supposed to bow or anything are we, now that you are whatever you are?" Enola teased, while Catherine chuckled at her cousin's words.

"Well, arguably, you always had to bow. You just, chose not to," Tewksbury responded. His eyes then settled on Catherine again. "So, are you safe? Are you two comfortable? I mean you're not still living in that terrible lodgings house are you?"

"No, no, we're okay. We're comfortable," Catherine assured him. She knew that he was aware of her desire to accept his mother's offer, but she also knew that he was aware that she would never abandon Enola.

"We used the reward money your money gave us," Enola started.

"Which you both reluctantly took," Tewksbury added.

"And we found ourselves somewhere new," Enola finished.

"Well, Mother has said that there's always room for you both with us," Tewksbury told them, his eyes settling on Catherine. She knew that he desperately wanted her to accept the offer, but she couldn't. Not if Enola didn't. Catherine shot a glance at Enola to see what she would say in response.

"Your mother clearly hasn't spent enough time with us," Enola commented, and Catherine pursed her lips. Tewksbury looked to the ground, pursing his lips.

"And what if it was I that asked you to stay?" Tewksbury asked, his eyes settling back onto Catherine. Enola sensed the moment between her cousin and the Viscount and smiled.

"I will be back at home," Enola told her. Catherine nodded and watched her walk off, before turning back to Tewksbury.

"Would you stay?" Tewksbury asked. Catherine sighed and offered him a sad smile.

"You know I want to Tewksbury, and I truly do want to accept the offer, but I cannot just leave Enola by herself."

Tewksbury nodded, crestfallen, as he stared at the ground. Catherine raised her hand, and placed it over Tewksbury's that was resting on part of the gate. He glanced at their hands, and then at her.

"How will I...When will I see you again?" Tewksbury asked.

"You'll find that I'm very hard to get rid of, Viscount Tewksbury, Marquess of Basilwether. We will see each other again," Catherine assured him, but her statement was also for herself. Just the thought of being away from Tewksbury made her miss him.

Tewksbury smiled and looked back at their hands. He took her hand that was overlapping his and brought it to his lips, pressing a soft kiss to it.

Catherine sighed and closed her eyes, savoring this moment with the Viscount. She squeezed his hand, and then offered him a small smile, before dropping her hand and walking away, wiping the stray tear that had fallen, away.

As she made her way to her and Enola's new room, she could have sworn that she saw her Aunt Eudoria exit just moments before Catherine could enter the building.

"Aunt Eudoria!" She shouted. The woman she was watching turned and around and gave her a wink, before continuing on her journey. A smile spread on Catherine's face, and she rushed into the building, up the stairs, and into her and Enola's room. There she found Enola sitting in one of the chairs at the small, circular table they had in the corner.

"She was here," Enola told her, the moment Catherine walked in the door.

"I know, I saw her," Catherine replied. Enola nodded, and pursed her lips.

"She wanted me to tell you that your mother is pregnant again, and that your parents have stopped their search for you. Your father is now claiming that he never had a child until now," Enola reported. Catherine pressed her lips into a thin line, and sat in the chair next to Enola.

She had to admit that the news hurt her deeply. Despite her hating her life while she was living at her parent's home, they were still her parents. A part of her still wanted them to love her, despite everything they had done to hurt her.

"Thank you for telling me," Catherine mumbled. Enola pulled her into a hug, and Catherine reciprocated, the two sinking comfortably into each other's arms.

"We'll be okay," Enola assured her, and Catherine nodded.

"We'll be just fine," Catherine agreed.

And with that, they went on with their lives. Their new lives in London, that still had a lot of things that needed sorted out. But they would be okay, they had each other.