FIFTEEN

Grail's torture lasted for several more hours, extending well into the night. Catherine was bruised, and bloody from all the abuse, but her answer had yet to change. She didn't know where Enola was.

"Miss Scott," Grail said, entering into her cell. He had to pause his abuse on her to take care of an important matter, but now he was back. Catherine whimpered as he walked over to her, fearful that he would hurt her again. "It seems as though we have a lead on your cousin, and you're coming with me to ensure that I get what I want."

Catherine's eyes widened as she saw him lift his walking cane, and before she could even react, he had struck her in the head with it, and she fell unconscious.

***

Catherine awoke to herself being dragged up a flight of stairs, with something sharp pressing against her neck.

"Stay silent Miss Scott, or I will not hesitate to slit your throat," she heard Grail say. She realized the thing against her neck was a knife and her eyes went wide. They widened further when she heard familiar voices coming from the direction they were headed.

"We must move quickly, or we'll lose you too," she heard Sherlock say. Hope soared through her body. If Sherlock was there, surely there had to be a way that he would rescue her. He would think of something.

"Losing this..." Grail called out, announcing his arrival. Catherine was shoved forward, the knife against her throat as Grail emerged from the stairs. "Losing that. Seems you've lost everything."

When Catherine saw who was Grail was talking to, tears sprang to her eyes. Tewksbury, Enola, Sherlock, and who she assumed to be Sarah Chapman were standing there.

"Catherine!" Enola cried, when she saw her cousin in Grails' grasp, with the knife at her throat.

Tewksbury couldn't speak. He couldn't move. He wasn't even sure his heart was beating. All he knew was that Catherine was in front of him, and she was just one wrong move away from dying.

Catherine glanced to Tewksbury, the tears spilling down her cheeks as Grail continued.

"You've all been very careless." Catherine watched as a man pointed a gun at Sherlock's head, another pulling a knife on Tewksbury. "I'll take those."

"Let go of her," Enola demanded, gripping the papers in her hand tighter. She could feel Grail breathing down her neck, as the knife pressed harder against her neck.

"Give me the papers, and I will," Grail told Enola. Catherine saw Tewksbury look at Enola with pleading eyes, practically begging Enola to give Grail the papers so that Catherine would be safe.

Enola approached the two, Grail reaching out for the papers, as Enola handed them to him, but Catherine knew that Grail couldn't get his hands on them.

So she bit him.

Grail howled as her teeth sunk into his hand that was holding the knife against her throat, and to her relief, her plan worked. Grail dropped the knife and clutched his hand as Catherine fell to the floor. Enola moved to help her, but Catherine shooed her away.

"Go Enola!" Catherine said. Enola nodded and then ran over to the banister, grabbing the trapeze bar and swinging onto the stage below. At the same time Catherine, hauled herself to her feet and ran down the stairs as she saw one of Grail's men running towards her.