SIXTEEN

Things seemed to go smoothly after that. Catherine was escorted back to Tewksbury's flat to take a much needed nap, while Enola set off with Sarah and Bessie to convince the match girls to go on strike.

When Catherine had woken up, she had found a new set of clothes for her, with a little note from Enola that contained only a smiley face. She smiled as she drew herself a bath, excited to wash all the dirt and grime that had been accumulating on her body.

The bath was most relaxing, and she almost fell asleep once again. She changed into the light grey dress that Enola had brought her, before making her way out into the living area of the flat, in search of Tewksbury.

"Oh wow," she breathed as she stepped out of the room she had slept in. The entire flat was filled with various kinds of plants. It looked beautiful, and it smelled amazing. Catherine found herself in the kitchen, and found a note from Tewksbury.

My love, sorry that I am unable to be there when you wake. I had important business to take care of. I ask for you to stay there until I return, for I have something that I need to ask you. Take care of yourself, I love you.
                                                                  Tewksbury

Catherine smiled at his handwriting, as it was evident he had put effort into making sure that she could read what he had written.

"Well, what do to with myself then," Catherine commented. It appeared that she had a few hours to kill before the Viscount returned.

***

Catherine had spent the day reading. She had found a book on plants that Tewksbury had, and she had spent the day learning about all kinds of herbs, and flowers.

"Catherine?" She heard. She smiled as she put the book down, and emerged from the room she had slept in the night before.

"Tewksbury," she responded, a large smile breaking out on his face when he saw her. She grew curious when she saw him holding something behind his back. "What is it that you're hiding?"

"Whatever are you talking about?" Tewksbury asked, a teasing smile on his face as he walked over to her.

"Oh come on, show me," Catherine insisted. Tewksbury only smirked, and leaned his head down to kiss her. When they pulled away, Tewksbury smiled as he revealed a beautiful arrangement of flowers. Specifically poppies. Catherine's jaw dropped, and she looked up at him, her eyes shining. "You remembered."

"Of course I did. I have an excellent memory when it comes to the things I care about," Tewksbury told her. "Read the card."

Catherine plucked the card from the bouquet, and opened it, beginning to read it to herself.

"Aloud," Tewksbury commented. She glanced up at him, and raised and eyebrows, but obliged nonetheless.

"My dearest Catherine. I will always remember the moment you saved my life by pulling me back into the train, when the bowler hat man was trying to kill me. I will always remember you cutting my hair to disguise me. I will remember the time we spent planning to save Enola, and the adventures we had when we visited Basilwether. I will remember our dance, our encounter in the park, and our kiss in the theater," Catherine read, her eyes glazing over in tears. She looked up to Tewksbury who was smiling at her endearingly.

"Continue on, there's a little bit more," he told her, and so she did.

"I wish to make a million more memories with you for the rest of my life, if you shall have me. I love you, and it is my biggest wish to become your husband," she read, coming to the end of the letter.

She looked up to see Tewksbury pulling a small ring from his pocket, before kneeling in front of her. A hand flew to cover her mouth as tears threatened to spill down her cheeks.

"Catherine Scott, will you marry me?" Tewksbury asked. Catherine nodded immediately.

"Yes, of course," she replied after her moment of shock was over. Tewksbury smiled as he slipped the elegant, but simple ring onto her finger, before she leaned over to kiss him. Both smiled into it, as Tewksbury stood, their lips still attached. He grabbed onto her hips, pulling her into him, as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

When they pulled away, the two stood there, smiling at each other. This was what Catherine had been wanting her whole life, and she was so glad that she had finally found it. She had found her freedom, and she had found it in Tewksbury.

"I have something else," Tewksbury told her.

"Something else? Were flowers, a ring, and a proposal not enough?" Catherine teased. Tewksbury rolled his eyes playfully at her, as he reached over to grab a newspaper from the table. Catherine's eyes widened as she read the title. 'Lord McIntyre Arrested: Minister Convicted of Corruption'.

"I met up with Sherlock this morning, and with his help, we managed to convince Lestrade that he had heard enough incriminating evidence to have Lord McIntyre arrested, and convicted," Tewksbury explained. "Word traveled fast."

Catherine smiled and reached up to hug the boy, his arms wrapping around her.

"This is wonderful news," Catherine told him "I'm so proud of you, and everything you've done."

"Thank you Catherine, that means a lot to me," he responded, as they pulled away, standing in silence for a moment.

"Well I supposed I must go tell Enola the good news," Catherine commented, and he smiled.

"I supposed you must," Tewksbury agreed. "Will you join me for dinner? We have much to discuss."

"I would be honored Viscount Tewksbury," Catherine replied. Tewksbury smiled and leaned down to kiss her once more, before she made her way out of his flat. What a wonderful day it had turned out to be.

Perhaps things would finally begin to look up for her and Enola, for they had finally gotten their freedom.

Lauren Time:

And that's that folks. I might end up writing an epilogue, let me know if you want one, because I haven't decided yet.

Also I know some of you might be saying that it's way too soon for Tewksbury and Catherine to be getting married, but Catherine is 18 at this point so both are old enough for it, and it's what they want so, they're getting married. Hehe.

Anyways, thank you guys so much for reading my story! I truly appreciate it. Love you :)