Chapter Ninety-Two

"I swear I saw them, it was the same man that was in the news and the same girl was with him," a teenage boy explained, "They are living down there, I was sent to deliver the milk, I was supposed to just leave it in the middle of nowhere

"I swear I saw them, it was the same man that was in the news and the same girl was with him," a teenage boy explained, "They are living down there, I was sent to deliver the milk, I was supposed to just leave it in the middle of nowhere."

"Then where did you leave it?" Scott asked.

He pointed to the ground, "Right here, I put the milk right here and hid behind the bushes. I was curious."

He pointed towards the area that was covered in leaves and tree branches, "The man came from under there." 

"You can leave now," I ordered.

"But I can help—"

"Leave," Scott told him.

"Alessandro."

Alessandro nodded and grabbed the boy's arm, taking him away from us. I went over to the pile of leaves and ordered my men to see what was under it.

As they did, a trap door came into my view. I nodded to them to open it, it was way too quiet for anyone to be there.

A broken-down wooden ladder was the way in, Scott and Lorenzo stepped down and I did as well. I had no fucking hope that she was here, for the last two months every single lead had been a dead end, I couldn't find her, not even a trace of her.

I felt like a fucking failure.

They turned on the flashlights and we walked in, I looked around the abandoned safe house, there was no one there, just a bunch of furniture. Dusty old junk was everywhere, it was fucking hard to move around.

I frowned as I looked at the two plates resting on the table in the corner. There were two bedrooms, a kitchen, and a bathroom. It was an old-style safe house probably used and owned by some criminal.

They checked out one bedroom, while I stepped into the other along with Lorenzo. Lorenzo looked around, opening up the wardrobe, and turning over tables.

It didn't matter, nothing did because she wasn't here.

Lorenzo kicked over the old bed before he turned over its mattress. Something dropped to the floor with a sharp clank and I went to it.

A cold wave embalmed me as I dropped to my haunches and realized what it was. My blood ran ice cold in my veins, my eyes narrowed and my teeth clenched together.

"She was here..." I managed to say.

"What?" I heard Scott's voice behind me.

"She was here," I stood up straight with her wedding ring in my hand, it rested in my palm, dusty and thrown away like a piece of trash; just like she did with our marriage.

"How do you know?" he stilled by me, staring at the wedding ring on my palm, "Is that hers?"

I slowly curled my fingers, making a fist; the ring's sharp edges dug into my skin. For a second, I imagined that my fingers were curled around her neck, I squeezed it hard; my jaw ticked.