15 // Fire

❥ EVERETT'S POV

EVERETT'S POV

The sound of drawers being pulled open and shut is what drags Everett out of dreamland.

He sits up in bed and stretches, a few bones cracking in the process. Today's workout with Knox had thoroughly kicked his ass, but what followed afterward in the hallway on the way back to their room—well, Everett would do it all over again if asked. Had Mason not interrupted when he did, who knows how far he would've gone with Knox.

Speaking of the devil...

Everett looks around the room for his missing roommate.

What he finds is a yellow sticky note with sloppy handwriting resting on top of Knox's pillow, and the man himself standing in front of the dresser near the closet. Knox's back is to Everett, his stance tall and rigid. Something seems off about him. That much is obvious when assessing his all-black attire and the way his hair has been slicked back into a low bun.

Everett skims over the sticky note before speaking, his palms growing sweaty while he reads.

"Did you just come back from a meeting with your people?" Everett asks quietly, a hint of fear in his tone. Knox catches it immediately and turns around, his expression flat.

"I did," Knox answers. "And now we have to head out to handle some business."

"To do what?" Everett questions.

"It's better if you don't know." Knox turns back around and proceeds with rummaging through the dresser drawers, whatever he's looking for clearly being more important than addressing Everett's concerns. "Sorry for waking you," Knox grumbles. "I thought I was being quiet."

Everett furrows his brows in confusion. Sorry? Knox sure as shit doesn't sound sorry right now. His voice is as cold as his impassive grey eyes. And just like, with a snap of the fingers, red flags begin to sprout around the man that Everett had almost broken his dry spell for. It's giving him whiplash to see just how much has changed within such a short amount of time.

"What the hell happened at that meeting, Knox? Did you ever find out what it is that Mason wanted to tell you?" Everett climbs out of bed in time to see Knox slip a pair of black gloves into his back pocket just before slamming a drawer shut on the dresser.

Yet another red flag.

"What is wrong with you?" Everett starts. "I don't understand why you're acting like this—"

"Because you're wasting my time asking me questions that I can't give you the answers to." Knox's gaze stops Everett in his tracks once he finally turns around to face the boy properly. The air around them drops by several degrees, and the chills that travel down Everett's spine at that moment have absolutely nothing to do with arousal. "I can't discuss club business with outsiders. It goes against the code and I ain't breaking it for you."