20 // Location

❥ KNOX'S POV

KNOX'S POV

The temptation for Knox to reach into his pocket and pull out his cell phone to text Finn for an update on Everett is at an all-time high.

Their most recent exchange had been late last night, and according to Finn, Everett had barely left his new bedroom. Josie occasionally stopped by to visit him, but other than that, the boy had stayed put all day.

Knox reached out this morning for another update, but Finn has yet to respond. This sudden lack of communication could be innocent, of course, but there is also the possibility that something has gone terribly wrong.

"How do you think it's going in there?" Alvin appears beside Knox carrying a pack of cigarettes. He pulls one out and lights it up, polluting the air with the acrid scent of tobacco that Knox is all too familiar with. He used to hate the smell, but it hardly bothers him now.

"Someone would have fired a shot by now if they weren't going to make a deal." Knox pulls his gaze away from the imposing glass window of the Westside Rider's Body Shop. He glances around the parking lot for the hundredth time, a nervous energy coursing through his veins that has nothing to do with today's meeting.

The parking lot is divided in half. On one side, Oz's men stand still, not a lick of emotion on any of their faces; on the other side, The Fallen Angels stand by their motorcycles, their restlessness unnoticeable. Both groups watch and wait under a heavy sense of anticipation, almost as if they're expecting an explosive confrontation to unfold at any moment.

The tension in the air is thick. One wrong move is all it would take to set off a chain reaction of violence.

Fortunately for Knox, he doesn't have to get his hands bloody today.

Gavin and Oz exit the shop forty minutes later, both men laughing up a storm over something that's evidently hilarious as fuck. Knox relaxes a little after Gavin waves a hand in his direction, signaling him to open the back of the van. He complies, then two of Oz's men come over to load several duffel bags into the back of it, neither saying a word nor making any eye contact.

Knox prefers it to be this way, especially when it comes to doing business with new people. He isn't out to make any friends, and the sooner he gets this job done, the sooner he can get back to the clubhouse and check on Everett himself. The past forty-eight hours felt more like four thousand, and it doesn't help any that Finn has gone radio silent.

"That went a lot better than how I initially thought it would go," Gavin announces after Oz and his men depart the area. The Fallen Angels climb onto their bikes and prepare to head off as well, but in the opposite direction. "Y'all boys behave yourselves out here?"

"As best we could," Alvin smirks, taking another long drag of his cigarette. "Looked like you two made a lot of progress in there. Is he partnering up with us or are all these bags filled with toy guns?"