Chapter 22: Restrictions

Since your escape, your mother has visited you daily, keeping you in the Isembart Manor. You were trapped, inside the house, for days, not allowed to go outside. Lord Isembart was never home, claiming he was working, and you were left alone. Arlutrix would sometimes entertain you, but he couldn't lift the feeling of tension from your shoulders. You felt trapped inside the house. Your friends hadn't seen you in days but heard of your return. Most of the time, you remained in your room while your mother continued to lecture you about obedience. Today was one of those days.

   " A wife is supposed to help her husband, not run away! I know you don't want this marriage to happen, but you shouldn't have run off! You're lucky Lord Isembart still wants to marry you. I don't know anyone who would after that. Who would want a disobedient wife? "

   " Excuse me ladies. "

The door softly opened, revealing Arlutrix in the door. Your mother stopped her scolding and turned toward him.

   " Yes, what is it? " She said, faking her calm tone.

   " Your husband has arrived to take you to your estate. "

   " Thank you. Before I go, I want you to listen to my words young lady. "

Your mother turned back toward you and pulled on your chin to look up at her. Without struggle, you let her pull your chin as your dead eyes looked into hers.

   " The wedding is in a few days, so stop your dramatic sulking, and be happy. Marriage is supposed to be one of the happiest days in a woman's life. And do not cause any more trouble for our family. There are too many rumors going around about your little escapade. If I hear you've done one more thing out of line, I will personally, kick you out of my household. "

Your mother let go of your chin and walked to the door, leaving the bedroom. You didn't move from your bed but leaned back to rest against the headboard, feeling consumed by your sadness. Arlutrix looked at your figure, feeling his sorrow and grief for you. Then, as soft as he could, Arlutrix stepped into the room, shut the bedroom door, and locked it so you might have peace. He approached the bed with light footsteps before standing still beside the bed. Arlutrix took a seat on the bed, with his hands sticking to his sides and holding the sheets under his hands.

   " My lady, how are you feeling today? "

You didn't respond, nor did you look up at him. Instead, you looked toward the ceiling with your mind becoming blank. The situation had grown dire, and you desired freedom from the rules of your house and to leave the Isembart Manor.

   " My lady? "

   " It doesn't matter how I feel. Things will be what they are, without my feelings in consideration. "

   " Please, don't speak like that. "

   " I only speak the truth. I will be married in a few days, and my freedom of choice goes with that. My mother has already deemed me disobedient toward the households, but Lord Isembart still wishes to marry me. But I do not wish for the same. "

   " It won't be as bad as you're thinking being married to Lord Isembart. You might find that deep down you love him. "

   " And if I don't? Loving Lord Isembart isn't the point, Arlutrix. The fact is, I've lost all forms of speech and freedom. I cannot leave this house because you're watching me every hour, or my mother is with me. Any right I had, is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if my mother asked the priest only to ask Lord Isembart 'I do' instead of both of us. "

   " My lady, I will be here to help you. It will not always be so lonely. "

   " At this rate, I may not survive after the marriage. If he tries to play during our honeymoon, and I cannot get out, there is no chance for my survival. "

Arlutrix's eyes widened, and his hands gripped the sheets tightly. Images of his mother's corpse floated in his mind, along with the sad faces he would always see her with when she thought he wasn't looking. 

   " My lady, please don't suggest such things. "

   " It is only the truth. I wish to leave this place, to go somewhere else, or even to leave the Kingdom entirely. I heard there's an old kingdom being rebuilt by its people. It's East of Madrathia I believe. "

   " My lady, please be patient and do not give up on yourself, for my sake. "

Arlutrix stood from the bed and walked out of your room, unlocking the door. He made his way to the fireplace and stepped through without extinguishing the flames. The door behind him slammed as he entered the room with a small flame of fright. Your words had shaken him to his core, reminding him of the tragedy that befell his mother. Arlutrix wished things could be different, and if he didn't have that insufferable chain wrapped around his neck, he would help you escape. He could help you be free, possibly even going with you to escape the Kingdom and run far away. 

   ' I need a plan; I need something. I cannot just let her sit in that room and waste away. '

Arlutrix deeply cared and started to brew a plan, but he didn't have long to figure out what he needed to do.