Chapter 12 | A Few Secrets Told

March 29th, 2013

March 29th, 2013

Cronus Lycoris

Yesterday he made tremendous progress with Riot.

He knows she cares- but something about her past is stopping her. Or, well, he can't confirm that. Riot's explosion in the car clued him into a more significant issue.

Cronus delicately wracked his fist against the wooden door. He slept amazingly last night- as her scent flooding in from next door made it easier to relax. 

He listened to some things moving before the door unlocked and slowly creaked open. Riot stood on the other side of the door- her hair messy and sticking in different directions. She wore an oversized t-shirt with a ripped bottom.
To be honest- she looked adorable. He could see the messy bed in the background showing she had just got up to answer the door. "Comfortable?" He asked with a teasing smile. Riot rubbed an eye and hummed in response.

"Whaddya want?" She mumbled groggily. Cronus thought of asking her this- but he wasn't confident she'd accept.

He released a breath, "Would you like to accompany me on a walk?" Cronus asked. 

She stared at him through sleepy eyes. His emerald eyes were lost in her cloudy blues- their dreamy colour made him tired. Riot shrugged her shoulders, "Sure, why the fuck not." 

Riot slowly dragged back toward her bed while Cronus watched in shock. He didn't expect her to accept!

Slowly, she lazily grabbed random articles of clothing and escaped into the bathroom. Cronus was happy to see she was settling into the small apartment. If it were up to him- he would've moved her into a four-story castle.
But now, Cronus understands something about wealth bothers her. Either she feels embarrassed by it or has a bad history with it. His thoughts were interrupted when a clothed Riot dragged herself out of the bathroom.

This time she wore a black tank top and dark blue jeans. Seems her wardrobe was limited.

The couple left the apartment and closed the door behind them. "Did you sleep well?" He asked politely. Riot pursed her lips, seeming to be in thought, before sighing. "Yeah..." She combed her fingers through her hair. "I... missed beds." 

Her honesty made him really happy. "Need any blankets or pillows?" Cronus inquired. She shook her head.

The two werewolves left the apartment block and wandered along the side of the street. The breeze this morning was cold- but it didn't bother him. He only wore a grey t-shirt and black jeans, but it was all he needed.

They turned down a cobbled pathway into the woods. Bushes and flowers were well taken care of, as seen by the round leaves and vibrant colours. Midas sighed in contentment- the comfortable silence between them soothing his wolf.
Nearby, Cronus turned to watch a group of children chasing themselves on a play structure. One child stood at the bottom, trying to tag the children's feet from below. He had a younger sister and brother- so he knew they were playing lava monster.

Blaine and Argus were wonderful siblings. Blaine was extraordinarily hyperactive, and Argus was known to be highly proud. Argus was the youngest at nine years old, and Blaine was thirteen. 

They headed toward the park's exit, a large entryway with gates surrounding it. 

"Can I ask you some questions?" He broke the comforting silence between them. Riot furrowed her brows and pursed her lips in thought again.

She sighed, "Just don't be annoying." She muttered lowly. Satisfied with this answer- he decided to start strong. 

"Why did you move to America?" He questioned. Nervously, the man nibbled on his bottom lip. He was hoping she was willing to share today- primarily because its the morning. She's easier to manage when she's sleepy.

A dark look crossed her expression. Her dirty boots kicked rocks along the path as they walked side-by-side. "... I was eleven." She whispered, "I had to flee my mother in France."

Cronus didn't say anything, but his upturned brows and parted lips spoke volumes. Why did she have to flee France? Who was her mother? Many new questions flooded his brain- it nearly gave him a headache.
"I left my sister behind." She muttered in a shaky tone, her bottom lip shaking as she tried to contain her emotion. "What's her name?" He asked quietly, hoping to comfort her in the memory of her sister.

Riot tensed up, "None of your business." She spat.

Cronus pursed his lips. "... I understand what it's like to have younger siblings." He commented, "I have a younger sister and brother. They're pretty rowdy, but they're kids."

She hummed, raising her head to the sky. They left the park and walked down the side of the road. "How young?" She asked. Cronus looked at her, "Argus is nine, and Blaine is thirteen."

Riot lowered her shoulders. "... my sister was nine when I had to leave." She said. "I think she's fourteen now."

"I remember playing with her with fish last I saw her." She frowned, "She loved fish."

Cronus' hand gently brushed hers, "That must've been tough." He whispered, "I'd never be able to understand how tough, though."

She nodded her head as her hand brushed against his, too.

"It's fine. It was tough love." Her nose scrunched up with distaste. "Makes me tough enough to fuck up that Tyrant or whatever." She waved her hand around dismissively.

Cronus could only sigh. It wasn't surprising that she wanted to hunt down The Tyrant; she probably felt threatened that there was a tougher wolf out there.

A small car rolled past the couple walking along the street, speeding down the road until it took a sharp right turn ahead. Riot was distracted by watching the car- her emotions were currently high. 
He slowly glided closer toward her. "You know, I came to this town because my grandma was talking about a rogue she-wolf." He blurted, hoping to change the topic. "I was worried for her safety. Fortunately, it wasn't much to worry about."

She raised an eyebrow at him as his shoulder brushed against hers. "Turns out it was the goddess' plan to meet my mate." He smiled down at her.

Their hands brushed together more until he wrapped his hands around hers.

A ruby red flooded her pale cheeks, "It doesn't mean anything." She scowled.

Cronus just grinned at her.