●♥ 𝟞 ♥●

»»——♥——««

»»——♥——««

The torn expression on his face made my heart ache. It was so easy to see the disappointment that flowed through him once I finished talking. It felt like every moment we got answers at the tip of our fingers, they would be clawed out of our reach or be overpowered by even more questions.

It was not the best news to hear that the woman had run off. Whether she'd run off because she was scared of his father or just from the shock of seeing him, we couldn't be sure at that moment. Which, of course, made it worse for him.

We jerked out of our whirlwind of thoughts at the sound of my ringing tone blasting through the air. I uttered a quick silent apology as I rummaged through my bag in a haste to silence the nuisance. But I froze once I got it out and spotted Abigail's name on the caller ID.

Crap.

"Where in the world are you?" Abigail shouted into the phone the instant I picked up the call. I yanked the phone away from my ear, squeezing my entire face, repressing a shudder as Avondré's brows arched up. Shaking my head to dispel his sudden alert, I opened my mouth to reply to Abigail, but she was already talking again.

"Are you still with him? Oops, did I ruin that? Sorry. I just needed to tell you that the candlelight festival is starting and you need to be here!"

I groaned, shutting my eyes. This was really such a mess. I had totally forgotten all about those plans. The ones we'd made if push came to shove and we hadn't found Avondré again that day.

"I take it you're already there?"

"Well duh. You can't be the only one having some sort of fun here, you know."

"Gail..."

"That was a joke and you know it," she scolded, the intensity of her voice dropping. "So, whatever it is you guys are doing, aside from getting to know each other, you need to come here." A satisfied sigh escaped her lips and I could instantly feel that soothing sensation pass through her as it did for us whenever we looked at beauty. That was life. "It's so beautiful, Eyi. I honestly think I'm going to write a totally different blog just for this festival. But you know what I need to do that?"