●♥ 𝟡 ♥●

»»——♥——««

»»——♥——««

Sitting across from each other carried so much more weight than standing. There were so many things to say and yet nothing at all. My cheat heaved with each passing second I sat there, looking at him. It was the knowledge that Lore was getting us drinks somewhere close by that kept me seated rather than releasing all that pent-up frustration and anger I'd had since forever on him.

And yet he sat there, calmly, like he was the most innocent person in the world as his eyes looked right at me, never straying away for too long. Like he had every right to look at me. Like he hadn't abandoned his pregnant wife and never showed up. Not even once.

My jaw ticked at the continuous silence. "Are you just going to sit there and say nothing?"

He let out a breath and gave me yet another once over like he was trying to imprint me into his memory.

"That ball really isn't my court. I don't think I could ever say the proper thing to you right now. Nor do I think I have the right to ask you how you're doing, which would have been a conversation starter."

I scoffed as he spoke with a straight face. Each word was strong with intentionality. His firm grip on his emotions stung me in a way that pissed me off.

"That's a load of crap and you know it." I flared.

"I understand why you would look at it like that, but it is not. While I am heavily content just sitting in front of you and breathing the same air, it is not for me to decide to just continue doing it. You have questions, and I'm pretty sure you're here to get answers to them. So I'll give you what you need whenever I can."

My ears rang, and I released a harsh breath. Understanding and rational father, that's the role he was going to play in that instant. Oh, this was beyond golden. There was an urge to throw a tantrum, to wail, to let him have a taste of destabilization, but he was right. I had questions that needed answers to them and while holding onto my hatred would have been superb, there really was no use anymore.

The only reason I'd ventured that far was to know his reasons. Despite what Ma believed, I was not looking for any relationship. That time was long gone.