Chapter Nine - Life and Death

──────⊱⁜⊰──────

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄 Evylyn wished she wasn't a necromancer. To wield something mighty like a sword or staff would give her leverage against suspiciously shaped shadows lurking in the woods. But no, she had to choose to specialize in a type of magic that didn't work unless she was around a graveyard of death.

"Ev?" Vareia said, the gentle caress of her tone doing little to soothe Evylyn's rising nerves. "Are you okay? I didn't see anything."

"I know what I saw, Vareia," Evylyn snapped before slowly blinking and forcing herself to inhale evenly. "S... Sorry. There's something in there, and I don't know if I want to know what it is."

Vareia moved, brushing Evylyn's arm as she bent down. Scooping up a handful of dirt, Evylyn could see the faint green glow of Vareia's eyes illuminating the dirt; she'd activated her Forestlight form. But why? There was nothing in the woods for certain. Vareia only had Evylyn's word. Did she trust Evylyn that much, or was she trying to make her feel better? A healthy mix of both, maybe?

When Evylyn snapped out of her distracted thoughts, she ripped her eyes away from Vareia, back to the woods. Her heart was racing, and her mouth was as dry as the Barren Desert, but she wasn't sure whether it was completely from nerves.

Evylyn yearned for the sun; the moon was pretty and all, but the downcast on the trees around them provided scarce light, and what light they did get was muddled by the leafy canopy above them. The warmth and trickle of sunshine that bathed Evylyn in an ambient glow was much preferable to the murky darkness.

Plus, then she could actually see through the trees.

The dirt cupped in Vareia's hand was blown into the air, each speck holding an illumination similar to Vareia's eyes as it faded into the air with a sharp pop. Vareia inhaled deeply before turning to Evylyn, not letting her Forestlight form falter just yet.

"There is someone there," she said, the passion in her gaze transitioning to something that looked like worry. She gnawed on her lip as she stood. "I can't tell if they're mortal, immortal, or an animal... the scent wasn't strong enough."

"Do you know any light runes?" Evylyn asked, to which Vareia shook her head.

"I know a lot of magic, but illusion magic isn't part of my knowledge. I was supposed to learn it, but my tribe leader never taught me before they, uh, kicked me out. I've always wanted to learn it, though, and..." she trailed off as she met Evylyn's pointed gaze. She cleared her throat. "No."

"I know one, but it's been far too long since I've used it. I'm not sure I'd be able to even draw it correctly by now," Evylyn muttered, eyes widening upon the realization she was blabbering just as much as Vareia had been.

"Come on, silly. You're smart. Aren't light runes simple?"

"If they're so simple, why don't you do one?" Evylyn asked briskly, and when Vareia responded with a sheepish smile, Evylyn sighed. "We don't need light, anyway. Whoever is in there will be too scared to leave the shadows." She let her voice raise in volume, and Vareia grabbed her arm in alarm before quickly letting go.

"If there is someone in there, shouldn't we be quiet?" Vareia practically hissed, to which Evylyn shrugged. Her glowing green eyes narrowed, and she turned to Eki'na. "Eki'na?"

When the hulking man swiveled on his heel to face Vareia with a smile, Evylyn crossed her arms and resisted the urge to kick at the dirt.

"Do you know any light runes? Or at least a very potent fire spell?" Vareia asked.