Chapter Eleven - Depths of Death

──────⊱⁜⊰──────

𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐄𝐊𝐈'𝐍𝐀'𝐒 flame powder in hand, Evylyn was determined to get this attempt right. She'd been slowly trickling down on supply, desperate to not let his parting gift go to waste. And every time, she'd failed to craft a potion that wouldn't kill someone the moment it touched their lips.

She'd almost given up. Multiple times, in fact. But Vareia had pushed her to keep going, telling her, "If I haven't died from being around you yet, then death doesn't follow you everywhere!"

Truth be told, she found it hard to believe Vareia, even if she knew the cute demigoddess was telling the truth. Vareia didn't lie–unless she was glumly speaking her thoughts aloud, saying her naivety was the reason Eki'na was killed. Evylyn had tried to comfort her the best she could, but she wasn't an emotional person. At all. She'd learned the hard way that she didn't have the words to console someone who felt even minor things far more strongly than Evylyn ever had.

She also hadn't been able to stomach facing Gryna. Even if Eki'na's blood technically wasn't on her hands, she didn't want to have to tell a fellow demigod that their partner, who should have lived forever, died, helping her gain her own pride back. Pride, independence, freedom–whatever it was Evylyn could reap from helping the town of Ensceas, she wasn't sure it was worth the cost of Eki'na's life.

She'd barely known him, sure. But Vareia clearly cared about him, and Evylyn didn't blame her, based on what she'd told Evylyn. The Cimibil's eyes were puffy, her skin seemed to be permanently damp from the tears that dripped down her cheeks, and her voice carried a hoarse croak that didn't seem to go away.

And yet, despite that, Vareia was doing her best to help her. She'd done her part of the spell without complaint, she'd hardly left Evylyn's side, and she'd offered admittedly unhelpful advice whenever Evylyn hit a roadblock. But even if her words of wisdom were not all that intelligent, it warmed both Evylyn's heart and cheeks that Vareia cared so much.

Now, after pulling Evylyn outside, Vareia sat next to her, in the soil of Eki'na's garden. Soft, colorful flowers dotted the ground, swaying in the gentle breeze. Vareia's gaze was fixated on the ground, in shades of golden honey and bronzes, as if the threads of the earth beneath them lived within her eyes.

And then she looked up.

Evylyn, having been playing with the fabric of her skirt, stilled. A playful smile danced on Vareia's plump lips as she tilted her head.

"What're you looking at?" she asked.

"You," Evylyn said. She'd scarcely danced around the truth, and she made sure others knew that. Vareia had certainly learned of Evylyn's blunt attitude, but unlike mortals, she didn't seem to care much. And if she didn't care, Evylyn would let her know if she thought she was pretty.

"Why?" Vareia's grin flashed wider, the lines near her innocent eyes deepening. It was like she knew what Evylyn would say.

"You're just..." Evylyn's gaze fell to her lap, and she smoothed out the piece of paper resting on her leg, "beautiful."

Though Evylyn didn't look up, she could easily hear Vareia's sharp inhale and the gentle rustling of the grass and flowers beneath her. And before she knew it, Vareia had slowly crawled into Evylyn's peripheral vision.

"Really?" Vareia said, a new layer of joy ringing brightly in her voice. "You mean it?"

"Of course I do. I don't lie," Evylyn said, and when Vareia's eyes crinkled, Evylyn found herself smiling. "I figured you'd know this by now, V."