Chapter seven

It was now Monday morning, and I was more than ready for the science test I had today. I spent all weekend studying, and I knew everything I needed to. The bell rang, and I made my way to the class and sat at a desk at the front, leaving the ones at the back for people who wanted to cheat. I couldn’t risk having the teacher think I was cheating, or I was helping others.  She handed out the test before speaking to us.

“You have thirty minutes to complete this test, it consists of two questions, one based on the theory and another one similar to the ones we solved in class. When you are done, you leave it at the front, and I’ll correct it immediately if possible. Any questions?

“You may start now.”

I looked over at the test and smiled, realizing I knew how to answer both questions. It was a fairly hard test since it required both studying and paying attention to the class. I finished it in 20 minutes. I wasn’t surprised I was the first one to finish. I handed it over to the teacher, and she corrected it. She smiled at me before giving it back to me.

“Excellent work Alexandra, keep it up.”

I cringed at the sound of my full name and took the piece of paper from her hands. An A plus immediately caught my eye, and I smiled widely. For the rest of the day, I couldn’t contain my smile. I was proud of myself for doing so well despite the circumstances. And by circumstances, I mean my parents starving me and keeping my locked up in the house.

I paid attention to all my classes. When lunch rolled around Charlie, I went to the library again to study for tomorrow’s English test. Going to the library during lunch was a habit we picked up ever since Jason punched me. He must have gotten into big trouble because he hasn’t bothered me ever since.

Charlie helped me study for English. I tried my best to study during the weekend but there were a few things I didn’t understand, and since my teacher is ignoring my whole existence, I had to ask my best friend to help me. I couldn’t help but feel angry whenever I thought of her. I wasted my entire night helping her, and she pays me back by completely ignoring me and making her class unbearable for me.

The bell rang and we went to the gym. I didn’t do as good as the last time. The whole not eating thing is really affecting me. The bell rang dismissing us.

“I was expecting better, Ms. Evans.”

“I’m sorry, I thought I was pretty good.”

“Well, not that’s not enough. Try harder next time.”

It’s never enough, is it? I sighted and walked into the locker room.

On my way to English, I kept thinking about what the gym teacher said. I’ve been hearing these words my whole life, from my family, my teachers, and even my friends.

“Hey, what dampened your mood so much, you seemed really happy before PE.”

“PE, that happened.”

“This woman is a total bitch” she said, which caused me to chuckle.

“You are right, she’s awful” I said as we reached the classroom and went to our usual seats. We didn’t even bother to greet Ms. Bitchy, yes, that’s how Charlie and I called her.

“Today we are going to go over a few things that you might find useful tomorrow. If there are any questions, feel free to stop me, so we can address them immediately” she said.

I scoffed, knowing that if I asked a question, she would either pretend not to see me or tell me we are running out of time or that she has addressed it in the past.