001: the beginning.

NICOLE, NICKY, or Nick, she was about as young as seven, going on eight, when she and her ten year brother were dropped off onto their uncle Wayne's trailer. She had long brown hair down her back, holding onto Eddie's hand, clutching it tightly in hers when the door opened and Wayne sighed at the sight. The chief, Jim Hopper had explained everything while the other police officer with them kept the two young Munson kids entertained.

Wayne hugged both tightly after and just rubbed their heads, kissed their foreheads and told them they were safe here, away from their dad now and Nick broke down, sobbing into his shoulder. She missed her mom.

It was difficult at first, for Wayne, going from being a childless working man, to having to take care of two kids. But he did it well, he fell into a good routine, drive them to school, pick them up from school, get a babysitter for them when he had to work nights until Eddie turned thirteen, so he'd just leave the two by themselves. Things began to become different by then, a lot of distancing, no heart to hearts like they used to have at the beginning.

Nicky's heart breaks sometimes when she thinks of the brick walls that she suddenly has up all around her, scared, anxious, lonely at the same time. But she can't talk to Eddie like she used to, she figured it must've been puberty and their indifferences. The only thing they have in common is music, she bops her head, drums her fingers when Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath blares from his room next to hers. Same goes with Uncle Wayne.

It got awkward. When he had to buy her menstruation stuff. Then she insisted she has it covered, that her uncle won't ever have to worry about it ever again. But fuck, was that so embarrassing. But whatever.

Even now, as she begins high school, being driven by her older brother. "How are we related when your dumbass fails another year?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "I took more punches than you when we were kids." His tone is full of humour, lightly hitting her arm and she looks over, glaring.

"That's not funny." She says and he laughs loudly now. "It was kind of funny." He says and she turns her head, rolling her eyes as she glanced out the window. "Maybe a little bit." She can't help the grin on her face. Eddie would never admit it or anything, but Nicky has a feeling deep down it was cause of her, because he wanted to stick around for her and not leave her like their mom did.

"Just... try harder this year. Don't be afraid to ask me for help. I'm smarter than I look." She says and he snorts as they got closer to the Hawkins High School. "Yeah, right, all those bleach fumes got to your pea brain." When he says this, he expects a harsh punch to his arm but Nicky huffs. "Fuck off," is all she says before getting out. He always ruins it when she's being nice to him. What a dick.

"I was just joking, Nick! Come on!"

That first day at high school was when Nicky finally saw her again. Bright red hair. She smiles, her face warming up and she felt her heart beating faster. She's always noticed her. Fire like red hair, bright blue eyes, freckles and the most beautiful smile she's ever seen. Except she's not smiling. She has her arms hugged around her, she's staring straight ahead and ignoring her friends.

Nicky knows them, she's known them since grade school. Dustin. Lucas. Mike. No Will though, she heard that the Byers family moved away over the summer. She stared at Max who just glanced at her friends standing next to her, how they laugh without her, exclude her from the conversation. Even when Lucas wraps an arm around her, she doesn't smile, or interact with them. Like she's dormant.

It's not the Max she knew.

So, over the course of the next six months, Nicky noticed many things about her. How she's always by herself. She noticed Lucas gaining popularity rather quickly. She noticed the two other boys barely talk to the redhead now, like they're just all strangers now. So, she couldn't help it, walking up the bleachers and standing next to Max, staring at her.