Chapter X

The day began with an uneventful, typical morning. After completing her chores around the house, she spent most of the day reading a horror book and relaxing, awaiting Mason's arrival.
Elektra's voice was heard in her thoughts, "You should try and get closer to that guy."

"And how do you suggest I go about doing that?"

"Flirt with him a little more, he will definitely be drawn to you."

"You want me to flirt? With him? He's like my age, and he's a guy, and I'm-!"
"But you can't be a normal person anymore, you've got to live up to your expectations now."

She rolled her eyes at her statement and continued reading the book, while attempting to ignore her nagging voice.

"What if he becomes a hindrance in the future?" Elektra asked.
She lifted my head from the book, surprised by her out-of-nowhere question.

"I'm sure he isn't a threat, why would he become one?"

"Think about it, he could reveal all of your secrets, even tell others what you're capable of doing, or what you can do."

"Why do I need to worry about that? I think it's nice that I have a friend who can understand me in my situation, and who also has this curse as well."

"What if he's only helping you now to gain your trust, so he can expose your secret later on, and you will be doomed once more."

Elektra was right, she did need to be careful with Mason, she didn't want to fall for someone only to get betrayed by him in the end.
"And what do you want me to do about it?" She questioned with irritation, her tone growing sharper.

"Well, you have to show him who's boss, don't let him get away with anything," she stated.

She couldn't believe she had to defend herself against the very person she wanted to keep close, but she knew she was right about keeping Mason under her thumb.

That evening, her grandmother informed her that Mason was going to stop by again and that she should be on her best behaviour. "Don't do anything too embarrassing in front of him, okay?" she added, smiling. I quickly replied, "Okay, I won't!"

"I hope you have fun today, dear," she said, patting my arm gently.
"I'll have a great time, grandmother," she responded with a playful smirk.

As she leisurely walked back to the couch, she heard a knock on the door. With her heart racing, she stood up, slowly walked towards the door and, once she reached it, swiftly opened it.

Mason stood there, waiting, and he gave her a wide grin, "Nice to see you again."
"Likewise," she replied.
After he walked inside, they sat down on the sofa.

How was your day?" he asked, crossing his legs.
"It was good, thank you for asking," Yurie answered. Mason nodded, looking around the room. "So, you like to read a lot, huh?" he said, picking up a random book from the table.

"Yes, I love reading," she replied, watching him curiously.
He placed the book in his lap and looked directly into her eyes. He seemed as if he had to really tell me something and spoke, "So, about your parents."

She smiled nervously, "Yes, they were mauled by a bear 16 years ago when I was a few days old. My mother died but my father survived and eventually succumbed to his injuries."

His face changed, "Oh, I'm sorry... I just figured that since you are living here, you didn't have any other blood family members." She shrugged her shoulders, "It's okay, I'm fine."

"No, I meant, I'm sorry for your loss," he apologized. "Thank you," she replied, feeling uncomfortable talking about it. Mason patted her back, trying to comfort her. "It's alright, don't be sad."