X. Beside You

AFTER HEARING ANN'S STORY, Elias sent the maid away and sat down again by the bedside. Elias looked at Richard with anxious eyes.

Author's Note: [...] means the dialogue happened in the past

[The one who hurt the Young Master is the Duke.]

[...What?]

[I was leaving the kitchen just now, and I saw that there was a guest who came to see the Duke.]

[At this late hour?]

[The guest was...that man. The man with a scar on his eyebrow that we saw on the hunting ground today.]

[......!]

[So, I followed him secretly and eavesdropped their conversation in the Duke's office]

Upon hearing Ann's story, Elias finally figured out the most doubtful parts of today's incident. The reason why the incident happened at the royal hunting ground, why can't anyone guess who was behind this, why did Albert ask the Emperor to investigate the case, and why did he order the attack. And lastly, why didn't Albert check Richard's condition properly.

'He did this to show off Rubelin's power.' Using Richard, he wanted to show that Rubelin was still powerful.

'Crazy. How could he do that to his own grandson...' Elias bit his lower lip. He shuddered at the thought that Albert knew Richard was going to get hurt but not to the point causing his grandson's death. It was clearly an abuse.

'Should I tell Richard about this?' Elias hesitated.

'If Richard finds out, he might leave the Duke. If that happens, I'll...' If Richard abandoned the Dukedom, Albert would no longer have a reason to keep him here. If he was kicked out of the Dukedom, he would be sent to the orphanage. Otherwise, he would wander around the streets.

His cozy life would end.

'Still... I have to let him know.' Even if his cozy life would end like this. Even if Richard's heart would be hurt when he knew about this. He couldn't let Richard live with his only family without knowing what kind of danger he was in. Such a life would be too harsh for him.