Twilight Confrontations

I sat in the office listening as Grams walked to the bathroom and shut the door. I didn't move. I waited. The shower turned on and she started singing. 

She'll be in there for a bit.

I sighed and made my way to bed. There was bound to be a time I would have the house to myself again.

But why did she lie about the trunk? Maybe she didn't know the key was there? 

I sat on the edge of my bed and looked around for a good hiding spot.

I'm turning into grams...hiding shit.

I tucked the key into a pocket of one of my blue jeans in my dresser before falling asleep.

My alarm started blaring entirely too early. At least it felt like it did. Rolling over, I stared at the curtains gently moving in the wind as the sun climbed the horizon. 

I don't want to go to school.

"Up, up, up!" Grams called from the kitchen. 

"Does she ever sleep," I groaned to myself, sitting up and swinging my legs over the bed. "Ugh. This is too early."

Staring in a mirror, I grabbed a pony tail holder and threw my hair into a messy bun. There was zero motivation to do anything spectacular so I grabbed a pair of leggings and a hoodie on before trudging down to the kitchen. Grams stood at the stove, flipping a pancake as a I sat down.

"Morning, honey."

"Morning, grams."

"How did you sleep?"

"I don't think I did."

"Oh? Why's that?" she asked.

"It's like as soon as you close your eyes you're waking up again."

"Yeah. That's about right. I made pancakes."

"I see that," I said, stabbing a few with my fork.

"They're your favorite kind."

"Pumpkin?" I asked.

Grams nodded her head as she moved the hot pan to a back burner and grabbed her plate. "I bought some of Martha's Maple Syrup at the festival and thought it would taste really good on them."

"Martha makes really good syrup."

"Indeed," grams said, taking the bottle from me when I finished. "Do you have plans for today?"

"School. I might see if Lauren wants to hang out."

"Okay. I'll be home late. I have to meet with the ladies on the planning committee. We have to organize the Thanksgiving and Christmas parades."

"Oh. Okay. Then I'll see you later tonight then."

I shoved the last forkful of pancakes in my mouth, grabbed my backpack and ran out the door. 

"Love you," I shouted, running down the block so I wouldn't be late for first period. 

Standing right outside the school I grabbed my stomach as the pancakes I shoved down my throat threatened to make a second appearance. 

"Ugh. No running after eating pancakes."

I shuffled through the halls and into class just as the bell rang. Plopping into the seat next to Aiden, I dug around for my book. 

"You okay?" Lauren whispered, leaning into the aisle.

"Dude, I don't know. I ate way too many pancakes, ran here, my grandma's lying to me I think, and I think I'm going to throw up."