Death at School

I rolled my eyes as I sipped the tea. She kissed the top of my head and left my room. I put the tea cup on one of my nightstands and all of the papers on the other. I curled up under the mound of blankets and drifted off to sleep for just a few short hours.

I was awakened by the faint morning light seeping through my curtains.

"Sun, go away," I mumbled into my pillow as I pulled my blankets over my head.

"Rory! Time to get up!" Grams hollered up to me.

"No," I yelled into my pillow.

"Rory! You're going to be late!"

Sitting up, I threw off the blankets and dragged myself downstairs.

"Today sucks," I grumbled.

Grams put a plate of cheesy scrambled eggs and buttered toast on the table in front of me.

"As much as I hate you drinking coffee, do you want a cup?"

I nodded my head as I pushed the eggs around.

"Don't be so dramatic."

"I'm tired, Grams."

I reluctantly picked up my fork and stabbed at the eggs. Grams always had a way of getting me to do things I didn't want to.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air as Grams poured a cup for me. I gave her a small appreciative smile and took a sip, feeling the warmth and caffeine slowly infuse some much-needed energy into my system.

"Thanks, Grams," I mumbled, still half-asleep.

She patted my shoulder gently, her eyes filled with understanding. "You'll feel better once you're up and moving, sweetheart. Just remember, it's a new day, and who knows what surprises it might bring."

With a resigned sigh, I nodded and focused on devouring the eggs and toast in front of me.

After breakfast, I trudged upstairs to get dressed. The wind howled outside as I picked up a t-shirt.

"Mmmmm, maybe a hoodie."

I dug through my closet and pulled out a dark purple Under Armour hoodie and a pair of fleece lined leggings and Muk Luks.

Finally dressed and ready to face the day, I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs. Grams gave me an encouraging smile as she handed me my tea, now in a travel mug.

"Remember, Rory, you're stronger than you think," she said, her eyes filled with unwavering support.

I managed a weak smile in return, appreciating her words. With a quick hug, I made my way out the door, the brisk morning air hitting me as I stepped outside. The scent of autumn leaves and the promise of a new day filled my senses, and as I started my walk to school, I couldn't help but feel a glimmer of hope amidst the exhaustion.

"Hey! Rory!" Lauren called, waving to me.

I waved back and jogged over to her, making my way through the massive crowd gathered outside. "Hey. What's up? Why is everyone outside?"

"You didn't hear?"

I shook my head.

"Oh my God. So someone was murdered last night!"

"What?" I exclaimed. "Murdered? Who?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I dunno. They haven't given us any information."

"Who would have been in the school at night?"

"Teachers? Janitors? It's not the principal. I saw her a little bit ago."